Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

ANYONE DOING ANYTHING EXCITING ON THEIR CAR ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love this paint, looks amazing in many light conditions

MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car looks great Morghen.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i like it too
Driving this thing, trying to iron out the issues it has so i can make it a reliable turn key go anywhere 924.
Has some cooling issues, removed the thermostat, flushed the system twice but still no heat in the cabin and runs a bit hot.
No coolant/oil mixing or high pressure in the cooling system so HG is probably fine.
But that coolant pipe going from the front of the head to the back may be clogged as the part that feeds the cabin heater is always barely warm...never hot.
Going to try to clean that tomorrow.
i have a cool muffler for it but first i need to get it running properly.
Cooling issue first, starter motor also needs a refresh.

curtisr  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice! Is that Garnet Red or the metallic version? My eyesight ain't what it used to be...lol!
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metallic version yes.

Up until 12 last night to get the car ready for today.
Head now cleaned for deposits, new guides, new seals, flow improved by light port work.
Cometic MLS headgasket and all that.
No re-surface on the head or block as they were both very straight and smooth.
Drove the car to work today, so far so good, i'll see how it behaves when i go back home in 33deg traffic.

I cant really tell if the supposed flow improvement of the head is manifesting in more power or not...the car is zippy and feels very eager to go.
I guess it spins the wheels in the corners a tad easier but that may also be because of a few degrees lower ambient temps...i'll get it on the dyno after i swap the WUR with a freshly rebuilt and calibrated one.

Honestly i cant wait for the added torque and noise of the supercharger.
This is turning into a wonderful driving experience machine.

So far i'm happy as it looks good inside and out, sounds good and drives good...hoping the supercharger will do its thing to bring that extra bit of fun.

Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it all together and that its nice to drive. You work so fast, i have waited almost a month for the cometic :/ but it should be here now. Then the big puzzle starts to get it together again. I certainly will reskim the head.

did you find a good way to clean the block surface ?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like working on the 924 but what i really like is a working 924..

I'm fast because i dont care much about clean things and fresh paint...as you can see there is still mice nest material under the intake support bracket
Also, i have the capability to reject "while there" opportunities.

So while many would have taken the whole engine out, painted the block, maybe do fresh rings and a clutch job..bla bla...i didnt even evict the mice

I cleaned both the head and block with razor blades then very fine sandpaper and finally degreasing spray.
For what i'm doing with the car this is even overkill. I did the same for the red 924 which held years of 1.1bar and a few thousands of kilometers..engine still ran like a champ when i crashed it.
I had the gasket from when i did the red 924...so quite some years ago...ordered with the first batch of cometic MLS for the 924s by Dan.

Just had one of those "damn time flies" moments...i ordered this headgasket more than 10 years ago !
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
I like working on the 924 but what i really like is a working 924..

I'm fast because i dont care much about clean things and fresh paint...as you can see there is still mice nest material under the intake support bracket
Also, i have the capability to reject "while there" opportunities.

So while many would have taken the whole engine out, painted the block, maybe do fresh rings and a clutch job..bla bla...i didnt even evict the mice

I cleaned both the head and block with razor blades then very fine sandpaper and finally degreasing spray.
For what i'm doing with the car this is even overkill. I did the same for the red 924 which held years of 1.1bar and a few thousands of kilometers..engine still ran like a champ when i crashed it.
I had the gasket from when i did the red 924...so quite some years ago...ordered with the first batch of cometic MLS for the 924s by Dan.

Just had one of those "damn time flies" moments...i ordered this headgasket more than 10 years ago !

Ha! I read this with great amusement, thank you for reminding us that certain priorities, (like function and being able to drive the damn car instead of tying it up for years doing minute detail work), should always take precedence and that it's okay not to be perfect or too anal about appearances and such.
I must admit that after years of doing customer restorations I'm afraid my own cars will never "enjoy" that concours status. I haven't got the slightest inclination or bit of motivation to agonize over having a garage queen...and I don't feel the least amount of guilt, LOL! As they say, form follows function !
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped rear suspension and torque tube out of the silver '82. Tank sender repaired, tank cleaned and new hoses all around. About to go back in
1979 924 NA ohne 650 mit 471
1982 931 Red Resurrection - 951 IC
1982 931 parts car / resurrection?
1980 924 NA (R&D lightweight)
1982 931 wana-be GTR race car
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy job, dont wanna be doing that too often
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Heavy job, dont wanna be doing that too often

Pretty lucky right now to have three guys on it at once.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this topic sinked down a few pages..

Back in May I took the engine out of my 2007 Cayman as it was smoking when cold and going trough about 1L of oil per 1000km...it had bore scoring...significant on one cylinder, mild on two others. Pistons affected as well.
Found a company in Germany to sleve the engine. They have been doing this for many years now (I think from the 90s).
Made a deal with them that I'd send he block and they would replace pistons, selves, IMS bearing upgrade, oil pump upgrade and put new consumables into the block. Due to covid and such, I only got the block back around September.
Lacked either energy, or time or willpower to start putting it together....but..having the 924 sorted out and working nicely, the Touareg a reliable daily...I somehow picked up a bit of willpower to inch this forward.
Bolted the chain sliders, degreased the heads and block, fitted the dowels and head gaskets and sat the heads on.
Going to do the initial torque of the head tomorrow and continue with the water and oil pumps as well as other small stuff.
May even do the final torque of the heads tomorrow and start with the cams and engine timing stuff.
If I can keep up the good vibes I think I can get the engine in one piece in a week or two.
Would sure be nice to start it before New Year's Eve.

Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a ton of air cooled 6 cylinders but never a water pumper. Looks like a lot less parts. It should be fun.
Enjoy
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Mike9311  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow missed even knowing you had Cayman troubles. Neat to see the guts. Do a little each day and the end will come...Good Luck!
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't exactly shout about it, a bit embarrassing
The damn thing had bore scoring and was embarrassing to leave from work with...and the cats were getting clogged with burnt oil.

Did the initial torque phase today, and will leave it like that for a few days.
Procedure is 30Nm in specific order, then undo completely all bolts, then 20Nm in specific order, then two times 70deg in specific order.
Fitted the oil pump as well.
Tuesday when I'm back home I'll do the undo and final torque of the head.
Also managed to drop off the TB piece to the fibreglass guy so next week I'll get to do the first tests with that as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 146 of 151

Jump to: