Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

fuel pump relay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: fuel pump relay Reply with quote

I am currently working on getting a 1982 924 2.0 NA running again after being off the road since about 1991. I have gone through all of the electrical parts to the car (new fuse block, fuses, etc.) I got all of the lights to come on in the car including dash lights, clock, oil pressure, and tail lights. I replaced the starter, water pump, and timing belt. The car will turn over on its own by turning the key. I do have spark as well. I have now moved on to fuel. I have a new fuel pump in and nothing happens as far as a noise when I turn the key. I think I have the relay in the right spot. Can someone send me a picture of the wires in the back of the plug for the fuel pump relay? I want to make sure that those are the same color wires that I am plugging the relay into. Any responses are much appreciated. Thank You!
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a tall order to get a picture of that...

Just try bridging the relay 30 to 87. You should hear the pump.
terminal 30 is always +12v so check that you have that with the key on.

If you are unsure of which relay is the fuel pump relay, check a workshop manual.Bridging random relays wont harm anything.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the ground crown inside the rear by the left rear tail light under the carpet there.. That is where the FP grounds..
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:

If you are unsure of which relay is the fuel pump relay, check a workshop manual.Bridging random relays wont harm anything.

Sounds good I will try that thank you!
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole Thomas wrote:
safe wrote:

I bridged the relay and could not get the pump to turn on. I hooked up a volt meter and its read 12 volts between 30 and 87 so I know power is getting to the relay and still no change. I also cleaned the grounds at the rear and it mad no difference.
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole Thomas wrote:
Cole Thomas wrote:
safe wrote:

I bridged the relay and could not get the pump to turn on. I hooked up a volt meter and its read 12 volts between 30 and 87 so I know power is getting to the relay and still no change. I also cleaned the grounds at the rear and it mad no difference.

Progress then!
Check with the relay bridged if you have 12 at the fuel pump.
If not, follow the wiring, somewhere you have an issue. Its usually near to the connectors or at any part of the wire that looks damaged. You might have to poke a hole in the wire along the way with a needle to check for power. Tape the damage good after...

I had a similar issue with the headlight wiring. I found that the cable hade been nicked along the way exposing the copper wire leading it to corrode and there was only corrosion left, had to replace 5-6 inches of wire where the copper was green or black.
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
Cole Thomas wrote:
Cole Thomas wrote:
safe wrote:

Thank you, I will look into that.

Progress then!
Check with the relay bridged if you have 12 at the fuel pump.
If not, follow the wiring, somewhere you have an issue. Its usually near to the connectors or at any part of the wire that looks damaged. You might have to poke a hole in the wire along the way with a needle to check for power. Tape the damage good after...

I had a similar issue with the headlight wiring. I found that the cable hade been nicked along the way exposing the copper wire leading it to corrode and there was only corrosion left, had to replace 5-6 inches of wire where the copper was green or black.

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my turbo iirc the FP power wire is a fatter black with green stripe wire that runs from the fuse box area along the drivers door to the rear trunk floor just behind the rear folding seat back across to the FP side of the car..

You could check for +12v power at the fuel pumps to chassis ground, check continuity from the FP grounds to chassis ground, and check for continuity through the FPs..

Does your frequency valve start buzzing when you jump the FP relay? It should and if not it would indicate a problem very early on in the power supply..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: