Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cranking issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Cranking issues Reply with quote

I am currently working on getting a 1982 924 2.0 NA running again after being off the road since about 1991. I have gone through all of the electrical parts to the car (new fuse block, fuses, etc.) I got all of the lights to come on in the car including dash lights, clock, oil pressure, and tail lights. I replaced the starter, water pump, and timing belt. The car will turn over on its own by turning the key. I do have spark as well. The car will turn over easily without the spark plugs being in. However, When the spark plugs are in the car will crank extremely slow and so slow that I cannot get the car to fire using starting fluid. I have no idea what the issue is. All responses are much appreciated.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check/replace grounds. Engine to chassis, engine to battery, battery to chassis..

To test this you can put jumper cables from the battery negative - terminal to the engine block and see if it improves your cranking..

Also the main positive + wires from the battery to the starter and to the alternator are also often terrible.. After cranking it hard feel all these wires for hot spots indicating high resistance..

That is where I would start..
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Check/replace grounds. Engine to chassis, engine to battery, battery to chassis..

To test this you can put jumper cables from the battery negative - terminal to the engine block and see if it improves your cranking..

Also the main positive + wires from the battery to the starter and to the alternator are also often terrible.. After cranking it hard feel all these wires for hot spots indicating high resistance..

That is where I would start..

thank you. I have noticed that the wires are hot/warm after cranking. So I need to replace those wires and check all of the grounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: