Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Ignition Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Ignition Recommendations Reply with quote

As I've alluded to in some other threads, a previous owner has replaced the stock series II DITC ignition system with some sort of Frankenstein setup....Ford Ranger distributor (really!), vacuum advance routed through some sort of EGR(?) valve so it's not raising idle, etc. It's not really running the way it should. Is it because this ignition setup is dumb? Or because something within it is not working right? Pretty much impossible to tell. Maybe the fix is to rip it out and replace it with....what?

Someone suggested reverting back to stock but I really do not want to hunt down a replacement DITC system which people are already ripping out due to lack of available replacement parts.

Some factors: I will likely be doing the mechanical work. I'm no expert but I can get stuff done within reason. I have no tuning experience...I'm not opposed to learning, but there is a shop here which could probably do this properly.

Goals: Short term, run properly at stock levels, longer term, still a street car, wouldn't mind 10 psi or more, if stock fueling can support it safely. Also, cost and difficulty are both issues...I'd like to minimize both as much as possible.

So: MSD ignition? I read a write-up which sounded reasonable, other than all the tuning talk. A different ignition computer? A while back someone mentioned they had a Haltech running their ignition. Or something like a Megasquirt w/ EDIS ignition? That's going to be fuel also, however, which is likely going to violate the cost and difficulty edicts. Or is stock DITC really the best solution?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've found a couple additional alternatives, but I don't have much info on them.

Mittlemotor has a programmable distributor that is basically plug-and-play with a base map for the car, although dyno tuning is recommended. They also replied quickly, confirming that they have it, but I still don't have any real details.

Similarly, I found this company "123 Ignition" that seems to have something similar, but I'm not clear if it supports boost. The description mentions boost retard, but the title said "normally aspirated" on their web site. I've inquired but nothing yet. I'm also doubtful that they have a base map for a 924 Turbo, but you never know.

Both of these solutions seem quite a bit easier than going with a MegaJolt/EDIS or an MSD setup. Are they also less capable? Maybe? I don't know yet.

As always, any direct experience regarding how these compare would be appreciated.

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I just got some additional info (thanks Carrera RSR!). Mittlemotor actually uses the 123 Ignition hardware. They may have made some mods, and they have base maps where the 123 Ignition by itself does not.

Honestly this sounds like the way to go. I'm dreading the cost...

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
TJC  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity what does Mittlemotor charge with shipping to the States?
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
bureau13  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told to expect around $1000 but to be honest, Mittlemotor themselves have not got back to me on pricing yet.

TJC wrote:

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
TJC  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bureau13 wrote:
I was told to expect around $1000 but to be honest, Mittlemotor themselves have not got back to me on pricing yet.

TJC wrote:

Thanks!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
palin  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Carrera RSR, I’m also using Mittlemotor distributor. My 932 S2 had a faulty crank sensor and no alternative (even buying a supposedly compatible BMW E-series sensor) can work. I had no choice but to do away with DITC, ignition stabilizer and so forth.

The Mittlemotor is literally plug and play. My mechanic initially couldn’t get it to work but after providing him with the installation instructions, my car now runs after sleeping for almost half a year. I’m still not done as there are other repairs going on (dreaded clutch replacement right now).

Mittlemotor will request for your old distributor back and you can probably get back €150??
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really does seem like a good solution. It is my current plan, but more critical things keep popping up that I need to address first. Like, it's currently parked outside my office and won't start It never ends with this car...

palin wrote:
Thanks to Carrera RSR, I’m also using Mittlemotor distributor. My 932 S2 had a faulty crank sensor and no alternative (even buying a supposedly compatible BMW E-series sensor) can work. I had no choice but to do away with DITC, ignition stabilizer and so forth.

The Mittlemotor is literally plug and play. My mechanic initially couldn’t get it to work but after providing him with the installation instructions, my car now runs after sleeping for almost half a year. I’m still not done as there are other repairs going on (dreaded clutch replacement right now).

Mittlemotor will request for your old distributor back and you can probably get back €150??

2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: