Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Trying to decipher my fuse/relay box -- help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Trying to decipher my fuse/relay box -- help Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have a 1988 924S I acquired about 18 months ago, then put into storage for a while, now cleaning it up to drive.

I fixed a cooling issue last night: it was running hot according to the gauge (at the lower edge of the red), prior owner claimed it was just a grounding problem, which made me nervous. So I replaced both the thermostat and temp sensor, and now it reads at or below the midpoint. (Could have done one-at-a-time, then tested, but was lazy and didn't want to wait for the engine to cool down between installations).

Next job is to get the AC working.

Pressure in system is good (50psi static), but the compressor is not engaging when the AC fan controller is turned on.

Usually when this happens -- I have 25 cars so I do my own AC or else I'd be bankrupt -- step one is to test the relay, then test the relay block to see if it has voltage (power and control), then jumper the relay block to see if I can force the compressor to engage.

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out the fuse/relay box.

The owner's manual shows two (2) row of fuses: one row with 15 fuses, the other with 9, both built into the box, with the relays between the upper and lower fuse blocks.

However, upon inspecting my own fuse/relay box, it has one row of 15 fuses built into the box and the other row of 9 fuses glomed onto the front of the box by a couple of long posts with some cables attached to them (power for the 2nd fuse bus). There are two (2) rows of relays, and trhe upper row of relays is trapped behind this 2nd fuse bus.

Am I supposed to remove that second fuse bus bar to get to the fuses (the manual claims that the compressor fuse in the upper row, 3rd from left)? Or does that bar somehow just pivot or tilt out of the way without disconnecting it from those posts?

Any help/advice on which is the correct relay, where it is and, if needed, how I get that 2nd row of fuses out of the way to reach the relays would be most appreciated.
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello?
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home?

19 views -- and no comments/advice?
!tom  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People here are mostly familiar with the 924, not the 924S as much. Have you looked up 944 resources?
austinporsche  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted on the 924S forum as well, lots of responses there, think I now know what to do (famous last words).

Thanks all . . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: