Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Worn manual steering rack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bureau13  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Worn manual steering rack Reply with quote

When I had a local shop replace my shocks and tie rods ('82 931) they told me the steering rack was "worn." With the new tie rods, there was no longer the huge deadspot in the middle, but now at certain highway speeds (usually 65-75 or so) I get a pretty serious vibration in the steering wheel, I can even hear it "clicking," presumably as the shaft (?) vibrates against something. It's odd that I never felt this before, but I suppose the VERY worn tie rods could have hidden this?

Assuming this is indeed a "worn rack," what is the proper solution? I've checked around, and I don't really see someone offering new or even rebuilt racks for these cars...at least, none of my usual vendors. Is this just an issue with rack bushings, which can be replaced? Or something more intrusive?
2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
safe  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the end bushings in the rack, it could be the rack and pinion themselves or the steering column joints.

Check for play in the steering wheel, both with the wheels pointing straight ahead with the wheel turned one turn in either direction. Usually the rack wears mostly in the dead ahead position.
If its even but loose it might be the steering column or the adjustment on the rack could be tightened. If you tighten up the rack adjustment to much so it locks up you can feel any play in the column.
You have to play around a little figuring out where your symptoms originate from.

A vibration could also come from tires, loose wheel bearings etc.
bureau13  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to narrow it down...thanks.

safe wrote:
It could be the end bushings in the rack, it could be the rack and pinion themselves or the steering column joints.

Check for play in the steering wheel, both with the wheels pointing straight ahead with the wheel turned one turn in either direction. Usually the rack wears mostly in the dead ahead position.
If its even but loose it might be the steering column or the adjustment on the rack could be tightened. If you tighten up the rack adjustment to much so it locks up you can feel any play in the column.
You have to play around a little figuring out where your symptoms originate from.

A vibration could also come from tires, loose wheel bearings etc.

2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: