Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Looking to buy a 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohoquad  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Looking to buy a 924 Reply with quote

So my purchase fell through. Very nice '77 924 with 28K miles. Unfortunately 25,000 of those came in the the first 2 yrs. Lots of problems from sitting so long unused.

So I'm back in the market. This is a nostalgia buy for my father-in-law who had a dolomite gray '79 NA. I'm looking for a car in good shape with a good maintenance record as original as possible for him to drive and take to shows.
Not looking for a project car.

Looking to spend $5-7K.

Year is not important. Preferably not red.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your dream car is low mileage, driven and well maintained but your budget is 5-7k...haha good luck!
Such 924 now sell for 5 figures.
Cohoquad  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever notice how long those 5 figure cars take to sell?
Cohoquad  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also low mileage not essential. But at 90k plus must have leak down test or proof of engine rebuild.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point but i havent seen any car like you describe that recently sold for what you mentioned.
Point is, 924s are not a mass selling product anyway, most 924s take a long time to sell...regardless of price...with exceptions of course.

Cohoquad wrote:
Also low mileage not essential. But at 90k plus must have leak down test or proof of engine rebuild.

Why is it that so important? Its a 924 not a 911...to rebuild the engine it would cost very little compared to other Porsches.
For example, if i want to do a re-bore on the 924 it would be like 1k in gaskets, pistons and machining work. If i were to do the same thing on my Cayman it would be 18k. So dont be afraid of a little need of spending...the 924 still is a cheap car to maintain.
Cohoquad  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Iíve noticed. I expected more around given that the bodies were galvanized. Lots in Europe but the euro exchange makes them pricy. Just thought Iíd post this in case someone had one and was thinking of selling quickly. Wanted it for Fatherís Day but thatís unlikely now. Might have to do a 944. Those are a dime a dozen around me and non-turbo are very cheap
Cohoquad  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. If this was for me I would be looking for a project. Much easier to wrench on than my Alfaís! But this is a gift for an 80yrold who is Non-mechanically inclined. I just wanted to give him a car he could drive around hassle free for the next few years.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i could figure out 924s were generally abused in the US and a very large amount of them are scrapped or dead/abandoned by now. Rust is not what kills the 924, the owners abuse and really bad repairs renders the cars un-sellable and quite often un-useable.
In Europe most cars are molested, damaged in various ways and degrees.
Here also many are scrapped or abandoned and destroyed beyond the point of worth restoring.

Properly restored 924s are quite pricey as they reflect the money it was poured into them. Thats where i pulled the 5 figure thing from. I know of a few sales that happened last year that involved 924s non turbos and 5 figures transfers.
Original low mileage good condition cars....well those are even more pricey.

For example, this one kind of fits your description, but you were one zero short of the price it sold for:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/po18/the-porsche-70th-anniversary-auction/lots/r0026-1980-porsche-924/707373

As a side discussion, there is a guy that owns a high mileage prototype 924S (has the late 944 interior)...and he's asking 50k euros for it.

You're right, the 944 is much more common and therefore cheaper and easier to find in good condition.
Not as elegant and not as cheap to maintain as the 924 but a better car in many ways.
TJC  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for various 924's for some time now in trying to gauge the market as well as wanting a new project and it seems to me that the regular "driver" cars have dried up to some extent. I've been seeing a lot of projects coming out of the woodwork and then the other extreme are the speculators asking stupid money. One thing that I feel is affecting the market in the last couple of years are the "publications" and "drug store cowboys" touting how great a deal the 924's and to an extent the 944's are and that their values are going to skyrocket as they are the last affordable Porsche.
You have a solid price range to find a halfway decent running car but I think you'll have to accept the fact that it will need some work to meet your qualifications. Perhaps not a lot, but count on some. Good luck!

Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any year NA car in good running condition that has seen regular recent use will very likely be fine to drive for a couple years without too many problems, as long as you don't park it for an extended period of time..

I think the newer the 2.0 the better. The older cars maybe are cooler imo but the newer ones are technically better..

I just looked a little and suprisingly don't see and real good deals but I think you can find one if you keep looking
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go drive this one.. https://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/d/bridgewater-1977-porsche-924/6867679060.html

He is only asking $2k..
Take it for a rip and if it performs well buy it (ofcourse inspect it) and paint it in your choice of color from rattlecan to a pro paintjob might be money well spent.. It even has nice seats..
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 924 sat for almost 10 years abandoned but still runs well.
Its one of the last 2L 924s ever produced, 1985 was the last year for the 2L 924.

I also recently revived a 924 for a friend that sat for more than 15 years, that one needed a proper flush of the injection system and the metering head was not salvageable, i had to source one that was known to work.
Other than that, damn thing runs like a tank.
Cohoquad  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did find a few cars that would have been great but after speaking with my father-in-law, heís just not up for it. He turned 80 this year and is a bit down. I tried taking him on our Alfa club tour and offered to head up to Montreal for the grand-Prix but couldnít get him to bite. I was hoping that getting him another 924 might stir the old juices back up and give him a hobby but I need to respect his wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: