Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

4 Speed Reconditioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agfisher  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: 4 Speed Reconditioning Reply with quote

Hey all,

Getting ready to put the transmission back in and want to get as much work done on it before I put it back in. Here's a picture of it right now with some color coding.

So first off, the Red boxes, those I got, I'll remove them and paint them to clean them up, no problems there.

Next, Blue box. what would you do here? Some say paint, some say don't. Right now I'm leaning to cleaning it up, putting some Rust Encapsulator on the non aluminum aft section and them some chassis paint over that. What do you think?

The Green box. Input linkage. Is there any preemptive maintenance that needs to be performed here before it gets tossed back into the car?

The Orange (dashed line showing the input seal is "inside" the bell-housing) and Pink boxes. Here are the input and output flange seals. Are these worth/easy to replace now? Are there any other seals that are worth replacing at this stage (with transmission on the bench)? I saw this "kit" of seals (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/transgasket-set/088398001a/)but it seems to have a lot more then just the three input/output seals.

Any input and links to parts, etc. would be awesome.
Harm  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Speed Reconditioning Reply with quote

agfisher wrote:
Next, Blue box. what …

Take a Power Wire Brush and clean it to bear metal. Take a good paint that will hold on to the metal surface. Paint it flat black with a brush, several thin coates so it won't chip as the previous paint layer. I used iron fence paint
I wouldn't paint the aluminium part, just clean it up.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on the painting. I changed the input shaft seal with no problem. I think there is a liner tube on one of the seals, check the PET. I have a couple of extra ones if yours is worn. 944only.com has a crosslink with less slop for the shift mechanism, not too expensive and easy to put on with the tranny out, haven't used it yet, but it feels better. The 5 speed shift kit will not fit. Also put new bushings on the shift linkage.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
agfisher  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
I think there is a liner tube on one of the seals, check the PET. I have a couple of extra ones if yours is worn.

You taking about 14 in the pic below?

MikeJinCO wrote:
I changed the input shaft seal with no problem.

Part 17 in the pic above?

MikeJinCO wrote:
944only.com has a crosslink with less slop for the shift mechanism, not too expensive and easy to put on with the tranny out, haven't used it yet, but it feels better. The 5 speed shift kit will not fit

Do you have a link for that?

MikeJinCO wrote:
Also put new bushings on the shift linkage.

You talking about 8 and 9 below?

Do you think anything need to be done on the output seals?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: