Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Electrical mayhem - what are these wires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_caarl  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Electrical mayhem - what are these wires? Reply with quote

Hi!

This is my first post and also my first Porsche 924. I recently picked up a 924 n/a -79 euro car with a 4 speed gear box.

The car is not exactly a beauty in its current shape but runs and drives great. Such a lovely little car!

First concern is the electrics. Much has been rewired (not for the better i would say) and some stuff has been disconnected.

Interior lights and gauges are not working or working on and off so i will check and clean the grounds hoping that helps.

However i have some wires that i havent been able to find in the Haynes manual yet. Maybe someone can help me identify these?

Wires in the picture are located in the engine compartment on the driver side (black/red and white/yellow).

There is also a solid green stray wire in the front of the car on the passenger side. Anyone know what that wire should connect to?
scm924s  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be aware that the Haynes manual was written for the US market (LHD and detuned) and is not helpful to owners of euro spec cars as there are quite a few differences. The 2 disconnected wires are normal, may be for a/c?
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 924s have those wires. ignore them.
Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical mayhem - what are these wires? Reply with quote

…Just noticed the Danish 924 site is no longer up. Too bad.

Additional Wiring:
White/Yellow —— Extra (Fog) Lights.
Black/Red —— Headlight Washer Fluid Pump.

Good luck & Enjoy!
Harm.
mr_caarl  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply.

Big thanx to everyone! Atleast one less problem to worry about
mr_caarl  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijacking my own thread.

According to the Haynes manual my -79 n/a euro car is suppose to have an ignition control unit.

However I cant find one and my ignition coil is wired from the (-) side with green (tacho signal), green/white (fuel pump relay signal) and black/yellow (fuel pump). My feeling is telling me the black/yellow (fuel pump) is connected on the wrong side of the coil or am I wrong? Should go to + on coil for extra boost at start up? Weirdly the car actually runs if i leave the jumpering of the fuel pump relay (I know.. previous owners.. ) in place instead of using an actual relay.

Is the lack of ignition control unit normal in the euro cars or did some previous owner scrap the ignition control unit?

My tachometer isnt working (cleaned the ground and positive, also tried rewiring with no luck) and iam not getting the correct signal from the coil to the fuel pump relay. Does anyone have a suggestion how to go from here?
safe  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_caarl wrote:
Hijacking my own thread.

According to the Haynes manual my -79 n/a euro car is suppose to have an ignition control unit.

However I cant find one and my ignition coil is wired from the (-) side with green (tacho signal), green/white (fuel pump relay signal) and black/yellow (fuel pump). My feeling is telling me the black/yellow (fuel pump) is connected on the wrong side of the coil or am I wrong? Should go to + on coil for extra boost at start up? Weirdly the car actually runs if i leave the jumpering of the fuel pump relay (I know.. previous owners.. ) in place instead of using an actual relay.

Is the lack of ignition control unit normal in the euro cars or did some previous owner scrap the ignition control unit?

My tachometer isnt working (cleaned the ground and positive, also tried rewiring with no luck) and iam not getting the correct signal from the coil to the fuel pump relay. Does anyone have a suggestion how to go from here?

It should be a unit next to the coil on the fire wall on a 79.
mr_caarl  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe wrote:
It should be a unit next to the coil on the fire wall on a 79.

Okey, so the ignition module is missing Everything seems to be rewired in a not for the better way.

Thanx for the help everyone! I will leave the electrics as is for now and do a complete remake later on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: