Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

FUEL PUMP CUT OUT SWITCH.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie924  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: FUEL PUMP CUT OUT SWITCH. Reply with quote

We all know that the fuel pump is operated by a relay beneath the dash , and this relay can be jumped with a simple 'two wire and fuse' replacing the relay obviously inserted in the right female sockets in case of an emergency. is it possible to use this relay replacement wire jump in some way in order to fit a Fuel Pump separate cut off switch without causing any damage or is there and other way to cut off the fuel supply from the interior of the car by separate switch. I am asking because I am finalizing the final touches on a 924 which is to be driven in local club road rally races etc.. Thanks all.

Last edited by newbie924 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eliza  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ARE aware that the fuel pump relay is tachymetric? Meaning, it will cut power to the fuel pump in case of a collision all on its own? Just asking, before you spend any time re-inventing the wheel...

Eliza
newbie924  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
You ARE aware that the fuel pump relay is tachymetric? Meaning, it will cut power to the fuel pump in case of a collision all on its own? Just asking, before you spend any time re-inventing the wheel...

Eliza

Eliza.... my question and emphasis on 'question' is as follows..
'is it POSSIBLE to use this relay replacement wire jump in some way in order to fit a Fuel Pump separate cut off switch without causing any DAMAGE or is there any other way to cut off the fuel supply from the interior of the car by separate switch' Therefore I take it that persons with common sense will note that I am ASKING if 'it is possible without causing any damage' or 'If there is any other way to cut off the fuel supply to the engine',, mainlyBY WIRING a fuel cut off switch... and yes I know that the relay cuts its power in case of a collision and no Im not trying to re- invent the wheel... has it occurred to you before posting your dumb answer that I asked how a cut off switch can be wired just because I know that its dangerous to fiddle with the operation of the relay????????? Is it my fault that the club I am a member in ,still want to SEE a fuel cut off switch even though I have explained that the relay cuts off power on its own in case of a collision and that they wont let me take part in any sort of meeting unless they can switch off the fuel supply by a flick of a switch?? Stupip club rules.. call them what you want.
peterld  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attitude Dude!

ALL motorsports bodies around the globe require a fuel cutoff switch that is accessible externally by marshalls/track officials. This normally takes place as a battery isolater switch, easily wired into your battery grounds.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery kill switch is the best and safest way to cut a fuel pump without messing with the relay or fuse board. Endorsed by FIA etc. in major and clubman events. Can be fitted as an internal. external or both locations. Simple

You have an internal kill switch already......the ignition key. If you can't kill you own switch/ignition due to an incident then fit an external one too for a marshall/spectator to pull.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An external kill switch has also been mentioned as a matter of fact ....Ok so I take it that a battery kill switch will not damage the relay or relay board or pump or cause it to malfunction in any manner if voltage is cut off from it . I am trying to avoid unnecessary damage to the electrics since its hard to get parts in my country for these cars besides being expensive besides the fact that I'm tired of tinkering with the car now. Thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: