Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

starting issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: starting issues Reply with quote

I am currently working on getting a 1982 924 2.0 NA running again after being off the road since about 1991. I have gone through all of the electrical parts to the car (new fuse block, fuses, etc.) I got all of the lights to come on in the car including dash lights, clock, oil pressure, and tail lights. I replaced the starter, water pump, and timing belt. I got the engine free and tried to start it, but the starter would not crank. When I put a voltage tester on the starter, I get 12.5 volts, but when the key is turned the voltage at the starter drops to zero. I dont think the clutch or the brake has to be pressed to start the car. I don't have any relays in the car yet. I also don't know if a starter wire runs through the fuse block. I just do not know what causes the lack of power to the starter. Thank you in advance for the responses, anything helps
Harm  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

Try these:
As part of the wiring harness, but inside the car at the steering column, the white plastic ignition switch° at the steering column might be interfering.
It will block battery juice from flowing easily through the starter…
Replace it. See the How-to.

Another thing is your engine block needs to wear ground straps to complete the circle of voltage.

HTH
Regards,
Harm.

°It sits underneath your key. Most of these are cracked by now and are unable to support voltage when key is turned into the START position.
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: starting issues Reply with quote

Harm wrote:
Try these:
As part of the wiring harness, but inside the car at the steering column, the white plastic ignition switch° at the steering column might be interfering.
It will block battery juice from flowing easily through the starter…
Replace it. See the How-to.

Another thing is your engine block needs to wear ground straps to complete the circle of voltage.

HTH
Regards,
Harm.

°It sits underneath your key. Most of these are cracked by now and are unable to support voltage when key is turned into the START position.

Thank you, I will try what you suggested. I have used contact cleaner on all of the fuses and terminals along with cleaning all of the grounds on the engine i could find. I did clean the two white plastic plugs that are on the back of the ECU as well.
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the car in neutral, carefully use a screw driver to connect the two large terminals on the starter and see if it cranks. If not the issue is not the ignition switch.

Are you sure you have a good fully charged battery?

With the headlights on, try to start it. Do the headlights dim?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Cole Thomas  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
With the car in neutral, carefully use a screw driver to connect the two large terminals on the starter and see if it cranks. If not the issue is not the ignition switch.

Are you sure you have a good fully charged battery?

With the headlights on, try to start it. Do the headlights dim?

Thank you. I am sure the battery is fully charged, I will try what you suggested thank you for the response. Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: