Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Two simple questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rod30  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Two simple questions Reply with quote

Since last summer I have been restoring a 1987 924S. I have no past dealings with any Porsche so I have been learning as I go. Two questions...I viewed a video of someone replacing the AC compressor and on that car there was a splash shield under the motor. My car does not have one. Should it? Also in the console at the front across from the sun roof switch there is a wheel switch. Some cars I have pictures of don't have one, so I assume that is an option this car has. I don't know what it does. Any help would be appreciated. I have the car ready to drive now, but I will wait until spring to get it on the road. Thanks again.
16again2009  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Two simple questions Reply with quote

I have a 1988 porsche 924s. I am also missing the lower engine guard. Many cars are missing them. I don't have any idea what happened to them. I can't imagine why someone would take it off and not put it back on. They are hard to find but pop up for sale occasionally.

As far as the wheel switch on the console I have no idea. My car doesn't have one.
rod30  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Two simple questions Reply with quote

Thank you.
What I called a "wheel switch" I think is a rheostat of some kind. I did not know what to call it. How can I find what options this car has?
TJC  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your option list may be found in your original owner's manual or on a sticker in the spare tire well.
The "bellypan" is often left off because some fool was just too lazy to re-install it. I recommend getting one as not only does it somewhat help with protecting the bottom of your engine it also aids in the cooling process of the engine compartment. There are very few things that Porsche designs and installs that have no purpose...at least in the old days before the "bling" car revolution at the company!
I can't remember what the thumbwheel does at this time as I think my old '87 924S had it too...
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
Harm  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Two simple questions Reply with quote

IIRC the 'wheel switch' near the gearstick functions as a 'fader' between front(mono(centerspeaker)) and rear(stereo) audio output.
HTH
Harm.
scm924s  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, the "wheel switch" controls front/ rear fader, not used if a modern replacement head unit is used with onboard controls, also only fitted if the car was specified with the optional 4 speaker radio.. On the last (1988) euro spec cars this was replaced with a headlamp adjust control for varying loads.

The undershield helps with lower engine cooling often left off because people are too idle to grease the fasteners and they shear off!
1984 n/a Black - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 n/a Le Mans#2- sold
1977 Martini - sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: