Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1979 Cork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: 1979 Cork Reply with quote

Hello Everybody
My name is Hans and I am from Scheveningen, Holland.
After working on VW's for years I was looking for a bit of a more pleasant driving experience.
I registered on this forum a while ago but now I've bought my 924 I will keep you guys posted in this thread.

As the title says it's a 924 Cork, which according to the info I can find (not much) where all 300 from 1979. They came in pearl metallic (L 94 K) combined with a creme pinstripe / cork brown leather interior.

It needs work, lot's of it. But the body seems to be in fairly good shape. Plan is to redo the seats and find a good dash (is that even possible?), get the engine running and fix the wiring and the go from there.

It has been for sale for a while so I don't know why it wasn't picked up earlier. The euro crew must have seen it pop up somewhere. I might find out the hard way why it was not bought by somebody else...hehe.

pics:

I need a lot more info on this edition than I can find now, so any leads would be very much appreciated. I am not sure about the mirrors, weissach wheels and rear spoiler, might be ordered that way or put on later. can't wait to start on this thing!
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a new dash and the right materials for the seats go here:

http://werk924.com/
brian19600  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be nice all fixed up! I love euro 924's. They don't have those big blocks of rubber on the bumpers like on the US versions.
sheepdog924  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be following this with interest! I've got the uk version, a Doubloon.
It shouldn't have a spoiler at all. And the wheels should be the standard 8 spokes but painted black with a silver lip
http://www.jugendtraum.ch/component/content/article?id=558:cc142014
hans  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sheepdog!
Wow a Doubloon, that's even more rare...
Now I see different stories about the Cork being just for the Swiss Market.
Some info says that it was produced just for the swiss market, some info says it was produced for other countries in Europe and the Doubloon in UK.
sheepdog924  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th Swiss special was made in MY78, 100 cars for Swiss market only. Painted in Sierra gold, with, confusingly Kork fabric.
The Kork model was a March 79, 300 cars but I don't know which country got what. The korks interior uses Lobster fabric on the seats. Painted in Pearl metallic.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to get more help from werk924 as i'm sure they know the 924 models as they sell NOS and replacement fabric for interior restorations.
hans  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I had contact with Thomas, but he does not know any other Cork owners, and he has only the info that is shown on his website. I am pretty sure now that the Cork, unlike the Swiss special, was sold in other european countries (maybe japan even?). The former owner of my car states that his car came from germany in 1984, and that's when the car was first accepted in Belgium according to the paperwork.

I bought the last bit (1,5m) of "lobster Kork" fabric available at werk924, and he says it's probably the last bit worldwide. he wouldn't sell it to me unless I provided some pics of my interior... haha, I really like that, the "show us you're worthy" kind of way. It wasn't cheap, I can tell you guys that, but hey at least it was available.
hans  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sheepdog now I read your last post more thoroughly I see what you're saying. The lobster fabric is more orange colored then the Kork fabric.
kork:

Swiss Special:

[img]http://cas01.autoscout24.ch/porsche-924-coupe-occasion/?1024x2048/3/90/custom/553/3112553/8.jpg[/img]
sheepdog924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, Lobster is the more orange one.
Well done grabbing the fabric from Thomas, I wish I had grabbed some as don't know what I'm going to do when I need it, but it's well down my list of jobs at the moment!
hans  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some more fabric will pop up over time somewhere. Or by that time we can have some 3d printed or something.. hehe.
Is this yours?
https://vimeo.com/176166041
hans  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car will be delivered here next friday, but meanwhile I had this in the mail from werk924:

that'll make such a difference!
hans  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the vehicle is in.
There's good things about it and bad things, but overall I am pretty happy (especially for this price..hehe)
The car seems to have a respray on the front fender blending into the passengers door. Not a very good respray I must say. The passengers mirror is gone (and there's bondo on the spot where it was attached), and I am still trying to find out if the car was ordered with adjustable mirrors or somebody chucked them on at a later stage.
First thing I did was knock the carrera-style rubber backlip off.
some pics:

obvious respray
[img][/img]

this side is very clean except for the funky fat mirror
[img][/img]

I am assuming it is an original belgian delivered car by D'ieteren in Bruxelles.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

wheel wells and spare wheel bucket are rust free and clean
[img][/img]

[img]
[/img]

some work to do here, but the carpet is good!
[img][/img]

the original spare tire
[img][/img]

regards,
Hans
hans  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a few small steps made, but from now on I have more time because I have a seasonal business and winter is upon us! yeeew!
installed the dash just to see where all the wires are going and to be able to check everything when its time for the first start:

These messy wires where from a alarm system someone installed, they're out now.

Raid steering wheel, not original, but period and color correct so it's a keeper!

next step is check the starter circuit because the PO said he left it because there was a shortcut in the starter system somewhere. I am probably going to pull it and see from there if it works or not.

I still need a brow shifter, anyone has one left?
hans  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last post was a while back... but finally got to work on this car.

Did a compression test, as I bought the car as a non-runner. Compression was within spec, but the engine was oily and I wanted to change some seals and belts etc.

so engine out:

When I started to check things out I found the the timing belt was off-time by one notch. Weird. I noticed that when I disconnected the radiator hose it was all a bit rusty, so I pulled the water pump off which I wanted to replace anyway:

not good

Loads of white goo in all the coolant lines too, so pulled the head, and indeed a leaking gasket.

Since I am this far I complete stripped the block, checked the crankshaft with my mate who actually knows what he is doing, and repainted the crankcase.

Now I am soda-blasting al the parts, and have the head back form the machine shop.

While the car was out for a week to make some space the idiot next door drove into it with his tow truck:

Luckily the idiot is a car body shop so it will be sorted. The rest of the car is pretty rough, but this was my best panel

By now I decided to rebuild the suspension and underbody parts, then see if I can get this thing driving, and then focus on bodywork next winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: