Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Porsche 924 DP Cargo Shooting Brake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigger937  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Porsche 924 DP Cargo Shooting Brake Reply with quote

ULTRA-RARE PORSCHE 924 DP CARGO IS FOR SALE TO FULFILL YOUR PORSCHE WAGON DREAMS

Fewer than 10 were made by Porsche tuner DP Motorsport

By: Zac Palmer
Jan 4th 2019 at 4:05PM

Porsche 924 DP Cargo for sale. The 924 DP Cargo was converted to a shooting brake by DP Motorsport. Image Credit: GMund Cars

Interested in what surely qualifies as one of the weirdest Porsches out there? Well, weve got a treat for you. Let us introduce the Porsche 924 DP Cargo. If youve seen one before, count yourself in the minority, because there were only a few of these shooting brake conversions built by Porsche tuner DP Motorsport back in the day - three if you believe this listing, or nine if you take the word of various other reports we found. This one happens to be for sale, listed for a cool L30,000, or $38,226.

The base car is a 1976 Porsche 924, but was converted to DP Cargo spec in 1986. To accomplish the look, DP Motorsport grafted on the rear roof section of a Volkswagen Passat for a completely flat roof loading area. Proportionally, its a bit weird but so, so intriguing. One could call it the predecessor to the Panamera/Panamera Gran Turismo as the first wagon-esque Porsche. According to the listing, this particular DP Cargo is the only one without the widebody 944 bodywork. It looks clean this way, but the widebody does give it a meaner stance.

DP Motorsport didnt just give it an appearance makeover, though. The powertrain was upgraded to full 924 Turbo spec. Even with the extra power, the 2.0-liter still only made 170 horses. Similar to other photos we were able to scrounge up on these rare cars, it has a massive exhaust tip. Presumably, it makes a fair bit of noise. This car does come from the same guys that took the overall victory at Le Mans in 1979 with the Kremer K3.

The 924 youre looking at here has been living its life in Stockholm, Sweden its whole life, and received a bit of TLC as of late. That said, any car with the 924 Turbo powertrain is a bit of a gamble when it comes to reliability. Previous owners appear to have driven this one a fair amount, as it has 79,638 miles on the clock. We doubt many people will want to squeeze into the back, but its a legitimate five-seater instead of a 2+2 now. There is significantly more space for all your baggage when you take your Porsche shooting brake on holiday, too.

Ultimately, someone might buy this car because its special and weird. Porsche 924s, even of the Turbo variety, are not worth anything close to this price. DP Motorsport is not a company to dismiss as a lame aftermarket tuner, though - that makes this particular car even more special.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/porsche-924-dp-cargo-shooting-brake-for-sale/#slide-7495157

"Think outside the box"
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Porsche 924s, even of the Turbo variety, are not worth anything close to this price.

Really?! Several turbos have sold in the £20k region. One has sold for £45k. So for the right car in the right condition they are worth close to the price of this DP Cargo........ I’ve seen this car. It’s fantastic.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really curious to see how the back seat has been made from the stock 2 seater to a 3 seat bench.

Also, I love this light grey / white interior! So unique! Has any other 924 been delivered with a similar interior or is it one-off as with the car?
Tigger937  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobroufa wrote:
Also, I love this light grey / white interior! So unique! Has any other 924 been delivered with a similar interior or is it one-off as with the car?

Don't know. All it needs is the light grey / white faced gauges to go with it.

"Think outside the box"
Khal  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!

She ain't pretty... but she's pretty f****** rad!
Tigger937  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front looks perfect. Something missing on the rear I think. Maybe Carrera GT rear arches complete with wider rubber and Cayenne like rear spoiler over the hatch as a finishing touch.

"Think outside the box"
Johann  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this car is a stylistic disaster to be honest. They used the wrong car as donor. They stuck a 944 bumper on it and the interior is in pretty bad shape. The ashtray is busted, the gear lever surround is loose and the leather is diiscoloured and letting lose in some places. It would have been better as a normally aspirated car, with a standard 924 bumper. I also don’t think the wheels do it justice either. Maybe some spiderwebs would have been better.

This is what a successful conversion looks like in my opinion

Harm  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924 DP Cargo Shooting Brake Reply with quote

word
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the interior would clean up nicely and look great.
I like that bumper even on the narrow body, but i agree that the wheels dont work, perhaps some exotic lamborghini tele-dial wheels would do it justice.
Also, whats missing is the rear mud flaps.
Would be a great and useful family car for a passionate 924 guy.
Tigger937  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann wrote:
I think this car is a stylistic disaster to be honest. They used the wrong car as donor. They stuck a 944 bumper on it and the interior is in pretty bad shape. The ashtray is busted, the gear lever surround is loose and the leather is diiscoloured and letting lose in some places. It would have been better as a normally aspirated car, with a standard 924 bumper. I also don’t think the wheels do it justice either. Maybe some spiderwebs would have been better.

This is what a successful conversion looks like in my opinion

I agree, the CGT look is much more appealing.

How about a 924 variant of the Cayenne for the next chapter in evolution?

"Think outside the box"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: