Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Draw-Through Turbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Draw-Through Turbo Reply with quote

Hi

Las autumn i bought a 85 924, as my first car. It has upgraded camshaft, weber carbs, momo bucketseats, stripped interior, coilovers and semislicks. It is pretty fast but i would want around 200hp.

I have decided to do a draw through turbo setup because its cheap (im a student), and simple. My knowledge of cars is acquired from youtube and reading forums.

My current plans are

Ebay t04e and put a carbon seal in it Ebay route because i didnt find t04e used and this is a budget setup.
Sell current weber carbs and buy a su carburetor
Make a intake myself (or might use 924 or 944 if it fits)

I am going to document progress here but theres not going to be alot progress for next 2-3 months because i have my finals.

Last edited by Juho on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project. But for a budget turbo project I would definitely go with a full standalone EFI, in this case the speeduino. It has loads of functionality and a very helpful community, and importantly very cheap. Most parts you need could be found at the scrap yard. It really will make the tuning and reliability much better. Turbo carb setups has been done before, but im not sure it will end up som much cheaper than a speeduino version.

you can come along way with just reading, the more you know before you start the better

It will be interesting to follow the project anyway!
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 intake wont fit, you're better off making one from scratch than using a 944 intake.
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Cool project. But for a budget turbo project I would definitely go with a full standalone EFI, in this case the speeduino. It has loads of functionality and a very helpful community, and importantly very cheap. Most parts you need could be found at the scrap yard. It really will make the tuning and reliability much better. Turbo carb setups has been done before, but im not sure it will end up som much cheaper than a speeduino version.

you can come along way with just reading, the more you know before you start the better

Never knew about this speeduino. Actually seems pretty good idea and i love the idea of my "ecu" being this 3 euro board from, china and i actually have some experience in using arduino. This would mean i would have to get. Fuel rail, injectors, lines and stock intake manifold with throttlebody right? This would also mean ethanol is an option aswell right? And better mpg compared to carburetors. Has anyone done speeduino on 924 before and has documented it?

But when it comes to the budget i would have to get intercooler + piping though

I might actually do speeduino because i wouldnt have to go ebay turbo. So big thanks for replying!

Last edited by Juho on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juho  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
944 intake wont fit, you're better off making one from scratch than using a 944 intake.

Super helpful info, Thanks! The thing is i have never welded and dont have welder. But i would have had to weld anywas because i need a exhaust aswell, so ill probaly learn to weld
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just route the pipes to use the factory manifolds and just make some flanges
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juho wrote:
Cédric wrote:

Never knew about this speeduino. Actually seems pretty good idea and i love the idea of my "ecu" being this 3 euro board from, china and i actually have some experience in using arduino. This would mean i would have to get. Fuel rail, injectors, lines and stock intake manifold with throttlebody right? This would also mean ethanol is an option aswell right? And better mpg compared to carburetors. Has anyone done speeduino on 924 before and has documented it?

I might actually do speeduino because i wouldnt have to go ebay turbo. So big thanks for replying!

You still need the speeduino board aswell, which cost a little bit. But its nice that its compatible with tuner studio which is the same as the megaquirt guys do. I like that all the code is open source, so if you want and have the competence, you can modify it. Though the std setup brins more than you probably need. It would be a nice setup since it also gives alot of headroom if you later want the car to run safely at way more than 200hp.

I follow the speeduino project a bit in the speeduino forums and on facebook, i havent seen a 924 before, but many ol engines have been converted, the 924 isnt that special. So there should be alot to learn from any other install. Check out their forums to start with.

There have been MANY efi installs here on this board, so it could be helpful to read around a bit, it should be very similar to any other megasquirt(or similar) setup. There is some kind of mondeo fuel rail or similar that fits. You need some kind of trigger wheel, it helps if you chose one of the more std items that are already available in speeduino. I dont know how the scrappers or used stuff is prices on your side of the baltic ocean, but this could be made on a budget if you shop around second hand or cheap parts.

The speeduino is compatible with a flex fuel sensor if i remember correctly, so that could be a nice upgrade, or run purely E85, that will give you alot more power safely, if you have the fuel available. Its not alot of work to also include boost control, just a valve, which is a nice feature to have.
Juho  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
Juho wrote:
Cédric wrote:

You still need the speeduino board aswell, which cost a little bit. But its nice that its compatible with tuner studio which is the same as the megaquirt guys do. I like that all the code is open source, so if you want and have the competence, you can modify it. Though the std setup brins more than you probably need. It would be a nice setup since it also gives alot of headroom if you later want the car to run safely at way more than 200hp.

I follow the speeduino project a bit in the speeduino forums and on facebook, i havent seen a 924 before, but many ol engines have been converted, the 924 isnt that special. So there should be alot to learn from any other install. Check out their forums to start with.

There have been MANY efi installs here on this board, so it could be helpful to read around a bit, it should be very similar to any other megasquirt(or similar) setup. There is some kind of mondeo fuel rail or similar that fits. You need some kind of trigger wheel, it helps if you chose one of the more std items that are already available in speeduino. I dont know how the scrappers or used stuff is prices on your side of the baltic ocean, but this could be made on a budget if you shop around second hand or cheap parts.

The speeduino is compatible with a flex fuel sensor if i remember correctly, so that could be a nice upgrade, or run purely E85, that will give you alot more power safely, if you have the fuel available. Its not alot of work to also include boost control, just a valve, which is a nice feature to have.

Did some research and it seems you can run flex fuel on speeduino. https://diy-efi.co.uk/product/speeduino-0-4-3c-full-component-diy-kit.
The complete diy costs 127 pounds and if i get fuel rail, injectors, lines, intake manifold and throttle body from junkyard i could do the conversion for very cheap. In Finland you also get 200 euros from governemnt if you convert your car to flex fuel so that would bring the total cost close to nothing for the efi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: