Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1982 931 RallyCross Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_G  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: 1982 931 RallyCross Build Reply with quote

Just picked up this 1982 931 as a Rallycross build. So far looks like a very solid chassis that is cosmetically challenged. It currently doesnt run but the engine will turn over, probably needs a clutch master and slave, and most likely rubber brake lines and possibly a master. Interior is bad but will be getting trashed.
Everything looks like it was there, hasnt run in 5-10 years last owner said it had some fuel delivery problems.
The goal right now is to get it running and idling then get it into proper mechanical condition, dont care much about cosmetics as it will be getting properly used off road anyway. The second I have it running its getting a timing belt, just want to confirm it runs before doing the work.
I currently have a 1986 944 so I have some knowledge of the chassis and early offset suspension but almost everything is different in one way or another.

Last years rallycross car and hopefully next years backup. 1984 BMW 318i

Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 931 RallyCross Build Reply with quote

Dan_G wrote:
The second I have it running its getting a timing belt, just want to confirm it runs before doing the work.

Timing belt first!!

Dan_G wrote:
hasnt run in 5-10 years

Don't even crank it anymore before you put a new timing belt on it.

This is NOT like a 944 engine where the timing belt and work are very complex/expensive but will still destroy your engine.

The timing belt for this car is like $10-$20 and the tensioner is like $7.50, and it only takes like 20 minutes with no specialty tools. Super easy. Gorilla can do it.

1st do the timing belt then start at the back of the fuel system unless you have already checked the fuel quality somewhere, where?

Drain the tank/pull the intank fuel pump - super easy.
12v to that pump and see if it works. Yes=good No=replace with another pump or 944 screen setup.
Fresh fuel and tekron injection cleaner stiff mix. 1 botttle 1/4 tank ish

Inline fuel pump 12v, does it work? If no replace.

Take the fuel supply line off of the fuel distributor at the banjo bolt and put in something. Jump the fuel pump power 30-87 on fuel pump relay. Clean? Hope so..
Replace fuel filter.

Put it back together and jump the pump again. Do an injector flow test as outlined in the haynes manual or search.
Problems? Post em..

If everything is good up to this point try to start it but if you run it hard (boost) without doing a proper CIS pressure test you might blow it up.

Buy/build a CIS fuel pressure tester, easy, google search "site:924board.org cis pressure test" ""site:924board.org how to operate hoffman" or follow instructions in haynes.
Problems then post..
Get through that and you can run it hard.

If your mechanicals and ignition are sound then next you need an intercooler

Ofcourse change the oil, check coolant, etc.
Dan_G  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you will be doing timing belt first. Haven't turned it over with the starter yet.
Where are the top dead center marks on this car?
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDC mark is viewed through a window in the bell housing, its to the left of the brake booster.

Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Dan_G  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,
I now have plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, timing belt, and tensioner on the way.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read “rallycross” a 924 is not something that enters my mind.....

https://youtu.be/TbD6MbHX26s
Dan_G  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCCA rallycross, think offroad autocross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: