Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

More power with carbs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: More power with carbs? Reply with quote

Today I managed to sprint for the first time my light weight 924 track car Im trying to complete which is set up with straight inlet and twin weber 45 dcoes. Would I be wrong if I said that the car feels more powerful with the weber set up than with the old CIS system?
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cis was not functioning properly and the carbs are then yes.
The car will sound better on carbs an therefore give you a nicer driving experience.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is quite som pressure drop over the measuring plate, which costs some power on a na car. The intake is most likely shorten than the original which moves the powerband upwards in rpm. But sure, a malfunctioning cis is of course robbing most power. A wide and lambda sensor is the way to go to tune any setup.
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both. I prefer the carbs. The exhaust sounds awesome.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine surely sounds better, yet the CIS system was functioning quite well before being removed.. the car feels quicker and responds better also. though I might think it is anyway. Tinkering seriously to add a race cam now, but must finish body work first and make the car presentable.
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to convert one to TBI and get a blower for it. I don't have the money for a third project right now.
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car may actually be a bit quicker in some situations with carbs because of the better response. The CIS can be set to be responsive as well but i'm not sure that responsiveness in the low/mid range rpm will actually keep the top end power to its best.

Ideal would be ITBs with EFI.
You would get the sound, the responsiveness and then you could actually get some more measurable power out of the engine.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Morghen, for now Im concentrating on a race cam to go with the webers and maybe some fiddling with the timing. Will see how this goes to start with, though Im quite happy as is now, my aim is to have some fun in some classic car race events held. Yet an investment in ITB's isn't a bad idea especially since a turbo unit can be installed too if EFI was fitted. Got to get the body done first though before any other engine changes.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also working on my 924 NA project and first off the plan is to get a responsive low and mid range performer that would be quick around low speed tracks.
Plan is to get a short ratio steering rack, electric power steering and get the car proper stiff and grippy.
newbie924  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
I'm also working on my 924 NA project and first off the plan is to get a responsive low and mid range performer that would be quick around low speed tracks.
Plan is to get a short ratio steering rack, electric power steering and get the car proper stiff and grippy.
Yes yes Im sure we will have to fit some new shocks, yet we have to see what is and isn't allowed in these classic car races since maybe as you know certain mods have to be in period.. I wouldn't mind an electric power steering for example,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: