Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

How do you lubricate your 924 speedo cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: How do you lubricate your 924 speedo cable Reply with quote

My 1981 Porsche 924 has finally hit the road after 17 years of not moving. I drove it down the street today. I have done lots of work over the last 2 years on the car. I have no idea if it worked before. However when I drove it today for the first time, the speedo cable made lots of noise in the cable sheath and the needle bounced a lot but did generally work. While I had the left front wheel and brakes apart I recall seeing the cable and the attach points. Also when I had the dash apart the speedo was disconnected for about a year.

My questions are:
Does the speedo cable come out from the wheel end of the cable or the dash end? I realize the "C" clip must be removed.

Is there any good way to lubricate the cable from the wheel end so I don't have to pull the speedo from the dash. It was a pain to reinstall so not wanting to do that again.

I also will try repositioning the cable route, however after sitting so long I suspect the cable has dried out or the lube has hardened.

I searched the forum for this topic but found nothing specific to my question.
Any help would be appreciated. ...Ted
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable cannot be removed from outer. If its making some noise and bouncing the needle, its probably close to snapping already. £20 gets a new one. Drizzle in some sticky bike chain oil in over a day or two. I've snapped 3 cables in 9yrs!!!
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Speedo cable Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that I had to do it from the dash side. Fun, Fun. I did drive it a few miles this morning and it is getting better. At about 40MPH it does settle down a bit.
Ted
daniel  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I work on speedo's and speedo cables for a living.
Only ever use wheel bearing grease, using anything thinner will work its way into the speedo and inhabit the very small space between the speedo's magnet and drag cup. Even 'thick' oil will thin out when it gets hot and still climb up the cable as it spins.
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Speedo cable grease Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I have used chassis lube before except in the winter it gets very stiff until it warms up.
mikeycrum14  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly ATF works super great. I used it in mine before I sold it and had 3k miles of smooth nearly-bounce less speedo use.
1987 300zx Turbo - Also White
1991 Miata - White field find
1987 924S - Alpine White, Offroader Build, possible future TDI swap
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Lubing Speedo cable 1981 Porsche 924 Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. I wondered if the ATF was not the way to go. I have both ends of the cable free. I found like someone said that you cannot remove the cable from the sheath so any lubing will have to be done from the head end and use gravity to let it come down. Am I correct or wrong on this? I think if I use a hyperdermic needle & syringe I can inject is slowly from the top. When I pulled the left front wheel I noticed the circlip was gone. The square end is still poking through grease cup. It was there when I repacked the wheels bearings so it must This car sat for 15yrs so when I drove it the cable was noisy and the needle bounced. I drove the speedo head with a drill and it operates smoothly so the cable must be the problem. Any comments on how to lube the cable??

Also, in case the cable lube does not solve the problem does any know where the replacement cable& sheath can be bought?

Comments appreciated.
Ted
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Lubing Speedo cable 1981 Porsche 924 Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. I wondered if the ATF was not the way to go. I have both ends of the cable free. I found like someone said that you cannot remove the cable from the sheath so any lubing will have to be done from the head end and use gravity to let it come down. Am I correct or wrong on this? I think if I use a hyperdermic needle & syringe I can inject is slowly from the top. When I pulled the left front wheel I noticed the circlip was gone. The square end is still poking through grease cup. It was there when I repacked the wheels bearings so it must This car sat for 15yrs so when I drove it the cable was noisy and the needle bounced. I drove the speedo head with a drill and it operates smoothly so the cable must be the problem. Any comments on how to lube the cable??

Also, in case the cable lube does not solve the problem does any know where the replacement cable& sheath can be bought?

Comments appreciated.
Ted
mikeycrum14  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had a 10$ aftermarket cable kit from autozone put on it and I snapped my speedo so I just lubed it when I replaced the cable. I would say squirter some ATF down the top AFTER you have made sure there are no holes in the sleeve. If you have holes then the ATF won't last. I patched my holes, put ATF in, and drive for like 2k miles with no problem before I sold my car.

There is that weird catalytic converter box thing that I don't know if you can pull the cable out of. Mine was removed and bypassed by crimping a small square brass tube over the ends of the two cables.

I would say pull the cable housing, inspect and patch or replace if you must. Then flush with ATF repeatedly to thoroughly lube the cable. Then reistall and see how it goes.

Do a thorough inspection of your speedometer gears while it's out just to be safe. A worn gear can jam the speedo and snap the cable. I've done it.
1987 300zx Turbo - Also White
1991 Miata - White field find
1987 924S - Alpine White, Offroader Build, possible future TDI swap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: