Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

At crossroads with my 924; swap / rebuild?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunset924 wrote:
wake right up to about 200hp with a modest 8psi of forced induction.

You think the 924 engine wont?
You will anyway need to fab custom intake and exhaust manifolds for the 1.8 VW engines as well as engine mounts.
May just cut it cheaper and simpler, strap a turbo to the 924 engine, move over a G60 engine management and enjoy 200-250hp with some scrap metal pipes and a corrado G60 engine management system worth 150dollars....add the sleve job on the 924 engine i guess...buy substract the fact that you need to sort out the bellhousing, clutch and engine mounts...i see no reason for a swap.
Sunset924  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgen,

No doubt in my mind that the 2.0 is capable of those numbers and quite more... afterall look at what was achieved by the factory as well as numerous race teams with that engine platform during its prime.

Unfortunately that time has passed and basic rebuild parts are becoming non existent or unnecessary expensive and hard to locate; at least where I am located. In my area, $800 is quite rieslistic for a sleeve, ring and re seal (parts and machine work, labor done by me) and all this is on original main bearings, rod bearings, oil pump etc. To apply forced induction to that engine I am afraid is asking for trouble, or greatly accelerated wear at best... wear that can not be economically remedied. On the flip side, I estimate to have less than that amount in a swap that is sustainable ($50 to $200 for low mileage running engines sustainable)

I enjoy the car, I would love to track the car as well, having an engine with a plentiful supply of easy to locate inexpensive parts sounds like a good idea in my current position. Fortunately, the bellhousing motor mounts exhaust etc fabrication is something I am equipped to handle (plasma table, vertical mill, lathe, Tig welder, tubing bender etc all on site). In a perfect world, I would just rebuild this engine for $500 and keep on driving knowing that down the road parts are available, but that’s not the case.

I know this is not an ideal decision with 0 drawbacks, but I feel as though it’s my best option at this point for my goals with the car.
kondzi  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5 cents - If it's a keeper, do whatever you want. If you think this car (as a classic) is a good way of investing money, that you'll cash in 10-20 years - keep it stock, or at least keep everything to make is stock again. I have some cars that I have modded heavily, and some that are stock. Each gives a different experience in driving (some are daily movers, some are for track days...). The most modded car is with me for over 17 years, and it seems the older I get, the less mods I prefer xD One mode makes you do another (as something does not fit etc.) and another and another... You'll never get your money or time spent on that back. But when it's a keeper - you don't care, right?
'88 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible (factory specs)
'84 911 Carrera 3.2 RoW (factory specs)
'81 931 RoW (TBD)
'81 Ford Capri 2.8i (factory specs)
'79 Ford Capri 2.9 (heavily modded)
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant get it either but that doesnt matter:), in my part of the world a spare 924 engine can be had for peanuts. And can be found within a days car travel.

They do take boost, check this guy out, sadly most pics are dead.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38765

But I admire people doing stuff that no one else had done, so it will be fun to follow your progress with the swap and see how it turns out.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:

They do take boost, check this guy out, sadly most pics are dead.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38765

If i remember correctly he pulled like 400hp out of the stock 2L.
Sunset924  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kondzi,

Shes a keeper. I enjoy the car, and its something i have always had my eye on, even from from childhood. This is certainly not an investment vehicle. Interior was trashed, and it was poorly repainted once in its life a non original color (hiding plenty of body filler from a previous accident to boot). Now with a color change and further deviation from stock configuration it will never be what a collector desires, and thats quite ok with me. I completely get where your coming from with the age to modifications ratio; I recently purchased a brand new MBQ platform Tiguan because all the other vehicles are heavily modified... trying to resist digging into this one too though

Cédric,

I wish that was the case here as well, it would avoid me quite a lot of labor. I decided to tackle 2 simultaneous swaps with this project... Going to convert that VW Fox from FWD to RWD, and run a GM 350 / TH350 combo to a live axle. (325hp) engine, $150 in local junk yard) Should get interesting.

Awesome build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: