Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Weak spark problem - likely cause?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porver9two4  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Weak spark problem - likely cause? Reply with quote

Can anyone offer some wisdom on where to look for the likely cause of the latest ailment to maroon my 924......
I've finally got the fuel system properly sorted (having been into every single component of the fuel system) only to find myself stranded again with a 924 that wouldn't start...... This time it's ignition

I had a 'no start' episode the other day, investigation of which showed no spark. Changed the king lead, still no spark. Turned out the rotor arm in the distributor had burned out, with obvious arcing and burning from the central contact out. A replacement from my spares stash saw fat spark restored and I was on my way again - all fixed. Visual inspection showed no issues with the cap or anything else. Happy 924 days once more....

EXCEPT, yesterday I again had a 'no start' episode Luckily I still had a spark tester on board and this revealed a very weak spark - a bump start was enough for it to burst into life and once running it got me home. I parked it at home then tried to start it again - no dice, spark too weak. Came to it this morning.... big fat spark again and it burst into life immediately.

So clearly something is failing or breaking down as it is getting hot. What is the most likely cause of this? Anyone experienced these symptoms before? Is this a distributor cap issue? or a coil issue?
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... if it will bump-start easily, seems as if the starter is drawing down the voltage enough that the ignition box won't work, right? Had a bit of that with my Turbo this summer. Can be impacted by bad grounds, of course...

Of course, when hot it takes more juice to crank, as well...
'79 924 #77 ITB racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: