Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My 924 Turbo, engine work and new suspension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Just got back from my summer holiday(driving the Cayman), man i miss the 924.
Anyway, get that clutch fixed asap and enjoy the car.
I think i have a couple of pressure plates if you need one.

Sounds like a nice holiday, if I put money into cars and less into rest of life a Cayman as my daily and my 931 as weekend/track car would be a nice match

Asap isnt so easy, the garage where the car is a 45min drive away (wihtout traffic, otherwise much more). Next week is engine calibration in spain, then new job, more vacation, birthdays, 50cc motorized bike racing, etc.. Garage time is hard to come by, hence it took a year to do all the work :/. I hope I will get my garage fairly functional before winter comes, that will transform my car hobby
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, took a day of work to do some clutch fix. What a pain of a job, took me a whole day of swearing to get everything apart. Would have helped to be two people, but i don't have that option. I learned that it actually is possible to pull the flywheel housing of the engine

I couldn't really find a good answer on why the bearing popped out. It might be that the lock ring wasn't fully seated. With the clutch was 3 washers, but i noticed the old clutch used 2. The ring goes in easier with 2 washers so that will be the way forward. I need to measure the pressure plate springs so they haven't distorted, a new reassure plate is bloody expensive, so i think reusing this one is preferable, it only has like 10min driving on it.

So what's the lesson here, put more time in the garage so you don't stress while doing critical things. Having a day of just working on the car was perfect, i think ill take Friday of this week aswell to start putting it back again.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice !
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch issue ended up as a complete nightmare, the lock ring wasnt 100% in the grove (i guess) and the release bearing suddenly popped out of the pressure plate. So i had to remove everything, sort the clutch and then put everything back again. I had to do it myself and it took me a day to take it appart and another day to put everything back, im glad I could take 2 days of work, otherwise it wouldnt have happened until winter season. Next up is the MOT, i hope the wont care about the IC stuff
The car goes so well its a joy to drive it, im really happy with the power as it is now, I dont really need any more boost on the street, but an additional 40hp will be interesting

Shurick  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're back on the roads!

Talking about the boost... I've recently fixed overboost issue and returned to 0.75bar from 1.1 (boost control on new ECU not tuned yet). And I can say it's so slooooow.=)
https://www.instagram.com/ru_pacecar/
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shurick wrote:
Glad to hear you're back on the roads!

Talking about the boost... I've recently fixed overboost issue and returned to 0.75bar from 1.1 (boost control on new ECU not tuned yet). And I can say it's so slooooow.=)

Haha, don't tempt me, i have the pressure regulator in a box and a boost line already connected on the top of the waste gate. 1bar is waiting for me, but it i need to keep it at max 1 since i run std head gasket. Need to connect my innovate wideband logger before i do anything though!
Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i went through the MOT without any issues, my boost pipes needs to come up a bit though, since the sliding lift at the
the MOT station almost couldnt get under, I will fix that further on. The MOT guy were a biker who loved the ring, so things went extra smooth and he didnt mind any of the mods My son went with me and loved going in the porsche, and constantly tells me to accelerate more and more, feels nice to share the experience with the small ones, he also said we should take it to a race track, i agree

I bought a MOMO prototipo(and 50mm spacer) as a MOT gift for my car, it looks much better, and feels nice too. I would have expected better leather quality feel for that price though. I took the car out to attack some twisty country roads and you almost forgot how fun of a car you have, my friend in his lightweight 76 924 went with me, its a great fun car aswell. I have many small things I need to sort out, but that will be done as I find time. Need to sort the tyres though, the rear 225 ones are from 1992 and getting the back out on motorway ramps is not so hard.

Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little closer look at the boost gauge when I was out and having fun, seems like i reach 0,1.0,2 bar at 2000rpm and i reach 0,5 bar somewhere at 2800-2900rpm, dont know exactly when it reaches full boost because I have to look out the windscreen aswell, It runs better than expected (Which means there are some efficiency gains in the system i havent calculated with) and is still fairly comfy for normal road driving. Im looking forward to the dyno session next year alot!
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news !
Cant wait to get behind the wheel of a 924...currently behind the wrench
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out driving more fun twisty roads, the car is still working great and very fun. I do have a little quirk though, when i let the throttle of quickly when the car is under boost it makes a litte bang in the tailpipe. Im not sure whats happening since my logging isnt up yet, but somehow fuel gets out there and gets ignited, and throws a little flame. It could be something with the div. valve, or just that it runs extremely rich under boost now.

I now at least got about 340km since i got the car out a couple of weeks ago, mostly on twisty roads, which im happy with. I might get out for one more drive before winter if the weather keeps itself in order. Then it will mostly be garage work, well see how much time i have with the actual car

My car, a renault 5 track car with a Honda K20, and a super low mileage foxbod, odd couple of cars. But we had fun on the twisty roads

Kenodog  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha that's awesome Cedric, glad your hard wrenching has paid off.

The Mustangs always made me shake my head. How Ford managed to get 200hp from a 5 litre V-8 I will never understand. I mean, it's would be difficult to get less from a motor with that displacement and still have the thing run ! lol Our 931's made 177 from 2.0 liters and that was almost 10 years earlier which in car terms is huge...

Now, more shots of your car, I LOVE the 931's in white...

Me
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, be nice to ford, its called HO, so its a high output engine, must be since the lable says so Could be worse, could be a cadillac with 190hp out of 500 Cui(8,2l), very impressive, almost impossible to understand how you succeed with that, and I have worked with engine development for most of my adult life

Anyway, i kind of like the foxbody a bit, it feels very small and agile for being an american car, almost european. But you get a bit spoiled with running a transaxle porsche, you take alot of stuff for granted which just works out of the box. To get that foxbody to corner reasonably he do have some work to do this winter, stiffening things up and make axles stay in place etc.

Ill se if i can dig up some pics, shouldnt be impossible, some of them have been shown around here earlier..

Kenodog  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:

DAMN that's a pretty car !

Me
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenodog wrote:
I LOVE the 931's in white...

+++1

It sure is a nice looking car. Thanks for sharing pics.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i like the looks as it is, i just wish the paint was in a better condition overall. Ive done some work on the body to fix the parts that werent good, but in the future maybe someday ill do a more serious repaint job. Problem is I hate paint work Mechanical work is so much more fun to do.

Pic nr 1 and 3 is actually my wife driving, so im not the only one who have had a great time on track with this car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20

Jump to: