Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1980 924 wont start after rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spratsprat  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: 1980 924 wont start after rebuild Reply with quote

Ok so I rebuilt the top end of my 924 (new head gasket ground valves etc) and now I got to trying to start it. At first I wasn’t getting fuel past the injectors but I adjusted the screw in the Fuel Distributor and now they work. My engine has the cam timed correctly and it has 130psi in the cylinders. I looked in the book on how to time the ignition since I had the distributor out, but it didn’t help. The book says that the rotor should point to a notch on the back of the distributor when #1 is at TDC and on compression stroke, which it is, yet the rotor is facing forward. I put the wires in the correct order and still nothing even when I spray starting fluid in. I even checked for spark on all the plugs and set the gap to whatever it was. Anyone got any ideas?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notch in the distributor housing is about 5 degrees clockwise from the electrical connection. It can take a few tries with the spiral gears to get it to the right position.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Raize  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank the engine while turning the distributor wildy in its housing through 360 degrees until it starts.

On a more serious note, the rotor should point toward the back-right (looking from the front of the car) distributor plug (ie, Cylinder 1, the front-most cylinder) when the engine's at TDC (camshaft TDC I mean, not the 180 degrees out of phase TDC). If it's pointing forward at TDC, your ignition timing is very wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: