Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Pray for the '82 931...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shit!?! I had no idea any one else here was even in the industry!

Actually, our guys were just in Idiada a couple weeks ago with that car... I missed out on that trip due to scheduling conflicts with other projects. Does look like it'll be cold; only bummer is that we're flying direct from Hannover to Arvidsjaur, so no chance to see Stockholm or any other part of the country - my first time...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
No shit!?! I had no idea any one else here was even in the industry!

Actually, our guys were just in Idiada a couple weeks ago with that car... I missed out on that trip due to scheduling conflicts with other projects. Does look like it'll be cold; only bummer is that we're flying direct from Hannover to Arvidsjaur, so no chance to see Stockholm or any other part of the country - my first time...

I work turbo and gas exchange system development, im also responsible for doing the altitude calibration, hence the tests we do in spain. I mainly work with the concept dev in Gt-suite. Our vehicles are a bit different than yours though

I hope you get the chance to take a look around some time, it really is a nice country. My car is available for a test drive for any of the board members passing by here
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... yeah, as I think you know I do Chassis Controls calibrations for Bosch Engineering, usually mostly on GM Performance Cars... though not always (like this time)... Lots of fun giant supercharged V8s and the like!

Have two weekends up there, so should have a chance to get in some skiing or something! Go visit the arctic circle... maybe some dogsledding...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
Cool... yeah, as I think you know I do Chassis Controls calibrations for Bosch Engineering, usually mostly on GM Performance Cars... though not always (like this time)... Lots of fun giant supercharged V8s and the like!

Have two weekends up there, so should have a chance to get in some skiing or something! Go visit the arctic circle... maybe some dogsledding...

Chassis control calibration must be fun in arvidsjaur, lots of track time i presume. Much more fun than emissions, cold start, misfire calibration and such which most of my colleagues do

Next time you must check out if there is any ice racing in the neighbourhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeNrdF8OnrE

We also do high power V8s, ours are very different though

924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Gone over to the dark side... Reply with quote

...and now it's official... getting my air-cooled cred, will I ever go back?!?

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-reminder-that-development-mules-are-the-coolest-1823513386

(that's me behind the wheel)
'82 931 Plat. Silver
kghaas  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
When is Singer going to do a 924....
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... well, Magnus Walker got one, so Singer can't be far behind, right? Just gotta find someone willing to pay $100k+ for the perfect/improved 924...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gone over to the dark side... Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
...and now it's official... getting my air-cooled cred, will I ever go back?!?
(that's me behind the wheel)

Looks like you need to get off your cell phone
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happiness... back home, rebuilt WUR from Special-T-Auto installed, and after resetting the mixture she purrs like a kitten and runs great again!

Now, to wait a few more weeks till the snow's gone...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Two steps forward, one step back Reply with quote

Pre-Dream Cruise update... have been fighting a lot with the Turbo this summer to get back to 100% functionality. Actually did DD the car some a couple weeks back - necessitated by my wife's bugeye WRX blue wagon getting totalled, and the time to deal with insurance and find a replacement (now have a 2014 blue WRX wagon, last of the wagons)...

So made much progress, major step forward after replacing the WUR was to finally find a good ignition box and mount it properly to the heat sink with head-conductive paste (bought from an electronics store, same as you'd use to install a CPU on a motherboard). Wouldn't run right when it got hot without that.

Then iterations to try to find the right mixture and idle settings, running decently but tearing through an impressive amount of oil - maybe 1qt every 100-200 miles!

Think we have some bad ring sealing issues thanks to all the fueling and ignition issues right after rebuild. But my leakdown tester isn't working, gotta replace the hose... so hard to test conclusively. Could replace the valve stem seals if I fix that issue.

Meantime, she still runs well, decently enough to commute in, if a little weak on power (particularly off-boost). But running some oil treatment, Rislone, as recommended by my engine guru - lots of detergent to potentially bust through those deposits and clean it all out. Also still running conventional oil, to help seat the rings in the process. Of course switching to Mobil1 will help the cleaning, but hurt ring break-in...

So trying to put plenty of miles on, work her hard, and make the Italian tune-up work... so far slow but possible progress.

Then again, I went in to replace one busted connector and two torn-up boots for the WUR and cold-start injector connectors... only to break both off. Ultimately good, since I'll replace weak connectors and wires with good new parts. Once they arrive - meantime, the car's parked.

But the parts will be in later today, and I can get one more potential reliability gremlin chased away. Meantime, I can see about installing the new shift boot and reconnecting my subwoofer... important things like that...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late update from a relatively dormant project. Swapped out the turbo yesterday for a rebuild with an upgraded billet compressor wheel.

Pics on FB; the old turbo spilled oil out the inlet side when I tipped it over. Yeah, that's not right. Confirms suspicions that it was the source of much if not all of the oiling.

Car runs much happier now; too exhausted to drive much more than get up to temp and re-adjust idle/mixture quickly. Hoping to get more miles in to get the engine happy - but have some busy weeks ahead with the #77 ITB car. And maybe also my prototype. Then again, it's uncomfortably hot at the moment anyway, for driving a car with weak AC...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
TJC  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the pics on FB...lookin' good!
'04 BMW X3..."Xander"
Still on the Prowl!

www.ttrs1.com
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued good data - came home yesterday to move the car out of the garage, and was pleasantly surprised when it fired right up without touching the throttle, just crank and vroom! Just like it used to, before I took it apart a decade ago... since the turbo went wonky, it hadn't been starting properly.

Weather looks to be hot and unpleasant for the next week or so, but starting to think I may actually get it out and about again!!
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: More driving and wrenching Reply with quote

Drove the car across town to help Karl Woods with his 931... found some loose wires on the way over, all fixed... now just screwing around with settings (fuel and idle) until she's perfect. Needs more miles, but she's liking it so far...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: