Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Urban Rally Car. "Rough Life" Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave all calipers a quick hone & re-seal kit, some blinging paint. New pads & bleeding will follow tomorrow.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxv-AUKsUs8&t=64s
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my phone dials painted. I'm going to burn these tires up under transaxle power. It's been 2 years since I parked a perfectly fine driving and running 944. 7 months of that time I completely ignored the car. I will never take on a project of this magnitude again on my main ride, it's just too hard... but I think when it's driving (hopefully in a few weeks), it'll be grins all day long.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone are the days of gravel & mud. This life is way too hard on a car you want to keep for ever. I have mud and bits of rust in places I still need to deal with. You never really get your vehicle back to "super clean" status. Those who've done 4x4ing know what I'm talking about!

This Rally was one in brutal terrain that challenged my driving skills not just to make decent time, but to actually stay on the road and keep the rubber side down!!

It was an immense pleasure working with co-driver D'Arcy Smith. With his mad Navigation skills were able to hold onto 2nd place in our division. People slipped off the greasy mountain back roads & tore up their chassis, but I think D'Arcy, I and 30 year of Wilson did really well.
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, those golden wheels will look nice with the colour of the car.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the brotherly love Morghen. Coming from the guy who designed and built one of the sweetest looking transaxles around, it means a lot coming from you.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. It is too early to celebrate.
I'm elated to announce that I was able to (with the assistance of a propane torch and 36" snip on a 3/4"/19mm ratchet) break loose the "ride height" nuts on the rear suspension control arms. This allowed me to drop the passenger side rear suspension. Hopefully I can budge the drivers side also.
This will allow me to increase the driver's road visibility.
This will improve the aerodynamics
This will improve the handling.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added decals to wing.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking time away from engine to get closure on Wilson's seatbelt situation, I decided to do like the factory did & mount the inside belt to the seat frame.

Below a couple glamour shots, as I need to move the car a bit to finish up the doors & want to clean the garage floor. Thankfully my neighbours will help me push it in.

Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I suppose it is irresponsible of me not to mention the new seatbelt mount is also welded to the seat base (in an effort to avoid excess pulling forces on the bolt heads - if and when the seat belt is being used in an impact). after the mounts were back in, I was able to fully mount the seats with belt & then install the 5 pieces of 36" /1 metre LongAcre rollbar padding. It appears I need 3 more lengths of padding. (by the way-you guys win! I will be installing the padding to the cage "kneebar". The passenger side definitely needs it. Then for the first time I was able sit with a helmet in the drivers seat (after padding install) and test for headroom and also work the peddles (since the clutch and brakes are finally bled). I'm happy to announce there is *just* enough head room to rotate (shoulder check and view side mirrors etcetera), The peddles feel pretty good (remember the 3" rearward extensions to accommodate the seat being mounted way back. I can operate them and do "heel-toe" but I think I'll be adding a 19mm extension after I have this engine purring.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the late model they went from 4x M6mm bolts to 6x M8, reinforced the floor & made the inside seatbelt receptible attached to the mount. I tried looking up the FIA article I was following but can't seem to find it. Its been like 2 years since I read it & now it seems like I confused seat belt mounting with seat mounting rules. Okay You guys win, I'm wrong! I will change the seatbelt mount. Thank you!!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-7pyFLK0yQ
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the intake manifold support bracket I made.

Here's the heat reflective material to protect the hood paint.

Here's the upper rad clamp I made today. So pleased with the quick serviceability. And also love the look. Sometimes I fail, but my goal is to always make the car easy (easier) to work on. An effort was also made to not allow metal contact between rad & chassis (as I understand it's create problems for engine cooling system if electrical continuity is present.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The under side of your hood looks sick!!
I like the way it looks pink in the pic too..

I was just looking at gold heat tape on ebay..
We were just talking about gold intercooler stuff..
You just painted your wheels and calipers gold..

I think this means I have to buy some gold heat tape too..
I want to do between my exhaust and strut tower for sure, and the hood above the exhaust around my NACA duct (already lost some paint)..
Maybe even the side of my block and head next to my exhaust manifold, but I doubt it will take all that heat..

The cast iron exhaust manifold gets scortching hot.. I bet it glows red hot under boost, no doubt..

The Porsche crest is gold too.. It's a sign..
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUE DAT. Heck I almost painted the intercooler gold after our discussion

Weird looking car at this stage but the Intercooler is now fully installed & I tied in the headlight vertical adjustment bar (that's the square aluminum tube across the top) and also tied into the front tubular crossmember which is tied into the hood via pins. The result is a very lightweight monocoque like stiffness. There is clearance for the front bumper to absorb impact and avoid damaging engine related components. I will be adding ducting on the front end to help guide air through the rad and a/c condenser but leave the rear free-flow so the air can go where it wants after. Hoping I don't have to cut sheet metal for more vents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: