Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Urban Rally Car. "Rough Life" Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the "baller on a budget" GT headlight conversion. Just need to make lenses. And then was able to just barely fit the stage 2 intercooler behind the nose panel. This was previously impossible when the oem hood support bridge type sheet metal crossmember was in place, but since it's gone, no I got room. This means reasonable length cooler pipes!
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[right]

Brief summary: The engine have stock 951 pistons & rods. The tranny is an oem lsd 944S unit. I bought an SDS EFI ECM and harness which uses a MAP sensor. I am so far very impressed with the ecm & harness but the install of magnets into the pulley is very fine tolerance and I had to modify my sensor bracket today. Also was barely able to squeeze all the harness through the oem firewall harness boot, but thanks to thoroughly lubricating the boot's insides with die electric grease & some mechanic's wire, it was successful.[/right]
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted the snow performance meth pump & tank as low as I could. Will need to make heat shields & debris shield at some point.

While i'm at it, I might as well mount the vacuum pump to help the turbo oil drain from the turbo better (because the angle of the drain isn't great).
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignition box mounted. The clewett 8mm wires work fine but I find 2 of the wires seem extra short (even when using the oem distributor cap). So I didn't have a lot of options because it's recommended not to mount direct to engine.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night buddy & I pulled apart the external wastegate. I was very impressed with the quality. Compared the long & short spring rates (just by feel) and removed the shorter one (which felt stronger in the compressed/working range mode). I am shooting for around 10 psi and with my boost controller I can increase boost but I can't decrease boost unless the spring force is reduced.

Catch can. Closed. Beautiful. I plan on having this in the crank case to vacuum pump to intake circuit. Hmmm, makes me wonder how well it'll work with a boosted intake?

Invaluable circuit diagram from Michael and from the person who made this originally. I followed Michaels advice & kept the oem connector & wire harness to tap into. Is it true that these circuits have already gone through fuses & relays?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people are thinking, Noah: you dummy, you should have just bought a Turbo car. I agree.
A lot of people are wondering why my engine bay piping & intercooler look so unusual... the answer is I bought an ebay turbo kit that in many ways isn't ideal in terms of fitment. For instance the 951 snail is opposite rotation to this one (as in the ports are on the other side). This is why I had a very very difficult time shoehorning it all in. I'm getting closer everyday!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
the 951 snail is opposite rotation to this one (as in the ports are on the other side). This is why I had a very very difficult time shoehorning it all in.

What ports?
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie, I just meant the compressor discharge is different.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so today I opened up the intake (pre throttle body) "blow off valve" to inspect. It was really good so loc-tited the fasteners & put it back together. Then I removed the primitive "log" exhaust manifold that I made previously & found a spot to mount the external waste gate. Decided to mount it low and behind.
But for giggles I wanted to see if it all fit reverse. It does. And it was then I remembered I actually built it for a "rear feed" like the 951 routes the exhaust... and then out of frustration I mounted the exhaust manifold forward because clearance were too tight.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Got inspired to try once again to feed the exhaust from the back like 951 but no way. So f*ck it, I'm going through with this design. Pulled everything. Gonna finish up all welds, gonna install gaskets & torque it all down.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Got inspired to try once again to feed the exhaust from the back like 951 but no way. So f*ck it, I'm going through with this design. Pulled everything. Gonna finish up all welds, gonna install gaskets & torque it all down.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are Tight! You can see where I had to made intake manifold spacers one is on the head @ #4 cyl). Also had to grind off the top of the alt and part of the balance shaft cover! Sorry it's so dusty (from the body work -pre paint).
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight: welded O2 bung & 3" elbow on to down pipe.
completed a few welds on these pipes, painted with heat paint.
Wrapped one to help reduce negative side effects.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright its been a ****ty week for setbacks on Urban Rally Wilson. What should have taken 2 evenings is extending into all week... II really haven't enjoyed being in the garage this week & I'm drinking too much and my back hurts as a result. Hopefully my luck changes this weekend.
Photo above: inline turbo oil filter.

Above: Oil inlet restrictor for turbo bearing (came w/ ebay kit)

Photo above: I am using this air manifold as a remote coolant temperature sensor location because I ran into clearance issues.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhkB-GuCIY&t=4s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: