Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Lower rad hose leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Lower rad hose leak Reply with quote

Hi all!

Need a bit of wisdom from you guys. I'm at a loss...

A couple of months ago I changed my lower rad hose as I saw the alt belt had eaten a groove into the old one at some point before I got the car. Didn't trust this very much and bought a brand new hose ( original).

Somehow, I never got the new hose to seal well on the water pump flange. Always dripped a bit, coolant left a trace on the hose. Seeping out from between the flange and the hose above the hose clamp.

Now the weather got hotter, problem gets worse. I tried to tighten the clamp a bit, didn't really help. Tried a different hose clamp, still loses a few drops.

I want this tight! Any tips, anyone seen this before? All is dry above the seepage point.
It's not something to do with the waterpump weep hole, right? I would assume that weep hole sits higher on the pump housing that the flange? Anyone know where it is?

Please please put me out of my misery

Thanks in advance,

Eliza
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which clamp did you tighten?
Where is the leak? hose-water pump, or hose-radiator?

Perhaps you should take the hose off, light wirebrush the water pump flange and the alternator flange, then if it still leaks, clean and degrease and smear a bit of victor reinz black silicone on both flanges before installing the hose.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgen is right, I have seen the water pump neck grow a lot of corrosion deposits and over time the hoses seem to decompose a little and leave deposits on the aluminum also.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Eliza  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Morghen,

at the water pump flange end.

@both,

yep, corrosion/coolant buildup on the flange sounds reasonable. Not sure the flange was cleaned carefully when the new hose was installed.

I have this one and a few other new hoses on order and garage time booked, and this time I'll do the cleaning and reassembly myself. Might as well replace all hoses that look past their best while I'm in there.
However, I need to tighten things up enough for my car to survive the 50 km drive to the garage, and take a supply of coolant in case I need to refill on the way.

I hate this. Would love to drain the system myself and see to things, but I'm a bit skittish about the mess I will make, with no way to jack the car up and an unhealthy fear of the intricacies of cooling systems. I guess I'd better just wait until my trusted mech shows me how to do it right

Thanks!

Eliza
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to cleaning the flange, and new clamp too...

Whenever possible, I try to tighten the clamps with a nutdriver instead of a screwdriver, for more positive torquing.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Eliza  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a follow-up

Leaks all sorted. It was the water pump after all, leaking quite a lot of late out of the infamous weep hole. With the pulley off, the weep hole is easily seen... well, weeping.

New pump, new belt (while we were in there ), new rad hoses, clamps of course, and a new-to-me uncracked reservoir and cap.

All good to go again!

Thanks for your help,

Eliza
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Weeping lower hose Reply with quote

Eliza,
It sounds like your problem is fixed already. I ran into much the same thing with my 924. I ordered the replacement hose and it would not slide over the WP flange. (new WP) so I got the brilliant idea of using the old WP flange as a mold. Put the old WP in a vise & I lubricated the WP flange and the inside of the new lower hose with some hand cleaner (such as goop) and then slowly worked the hose up over the flange. It fit very tight but after expansion I installed a good clamp. I let sit a bit then used a heat gun to make the rubber more pliable. Did this a couple times and let is sit overnite. When I removed the clamp the hose pretty much stayed expanded. I then relubed the new wp flange and the inside of the new lower hose again and slipped over the new flange. It slid easily and seated well and I put a new clamp on. Works good. Thought I would pass the tip to you.
TEd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: