Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

944 2.5L Turbo into a 924??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthompson wrote:
The unnecessary insulting hot rods and their owners/mechanics got under my skin a bit. Some of my good friends hot rod anything they get their hands on and have great metal working skills and massivd amounts of knowlage. If you consider how much older theor cars generally are the conditions they are in is generaly good compared to other cars fromthe same era. Look for a rust free 356 tthat's been in a barn for 35 years.

Intention was not to insult your buddies..i like hotrods, they are just not cars as what most of us consider cars to be.
But think of this...leave a hacked 924 and an unmolested 924 in a barn for 35 years...which one will survive and be worth anything ?

on topic: dont hack up your 931, its nice as it is, has potential and its already a rare car so its not worth to cut and weld the frame...or anything on it. you can get more power and more fun out of the 931 without hacking it up.
Raceboy  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to cut the frame when fitting 2.5liter engine. You only have to modify cross-member to accept either 944 engine mounts or some other (=cheaper) ones.

You can leave the original 2liter mounts there and not touch the body at all.

I know I wouldn't do this on original 931 for two reasons: keep it original, it is worth more that way and you can make 2liter engine very fast itself.

I know because I have done both (hot-rodded 2liter engines and put 2.5liter in 924).
'78 924 Carrera GT replica
'84 928 S, sold
'91 944 S2, sold
'82 924S/931 "Gulf", sold
'84 924, turbocharged, sold.
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Sharky  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys.

I will keep it as a 931 then, and look at throwing an aftermarket turbo on.
Will also see about a 951 intercooler or something to save cutting up the face of the rig. I don't really want to attack the chassis, I'd much rather keep the body original.

The only advantage I saw was the availability of parts. 931 parts are so damn rare, it seems a logical & economical step to change a few bits around. Finding things like Engines or even just blocks, tranny's, original Tripple K turbos and so on... kind of seems like I'd be setting myself up for a losing battle. Where 944 parts are on ebay.

Although it is somewhat 'Frankenstien-esque' already, with the Carrera body kit and the 944 interior, I'd say she's a long shot form original as far as most of the cosmetics go.

That being said, I am not interested in the re-sale value or anything to that effect. It is more about the smile it brings to my face when I look at it or go for a cruise down the highway. I never had any intention of making money back on the vehicle and I doubt I could ever sell it, and for a vehicle that seems to be getting rarer every year, I'd be pretty stoked if someone who knew what they were looking at to say "Wow, a 924 Turbo... Hardly see any of those these days." But at the end of the day, it's my toy, I brought it for me and I'm not concerned on what anyone else thinks when they look at it. Although I'd never want to disappoint anyone, including myself, by chopping it up just to do a mod here or there.
crsedge  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am giving some thought to a not dissimilar project.
Any updates on progress or anyone who has completed the swap here in Aus?
Cheers
Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: