Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1980 931 connecting rods, bolts, and bearings.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funkyguru  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: 1980 931 connecting rods, bolts, and bearings. Reply with quote

Hello All,

This is my first post here so forgive me if my protocol is off.

Recently bought a 1980 931 with 70k miles on it. This engine has a spun #2. The PO said he caught it at idle and hadn't driven or ran the car since diagnosis.

I've dropped the pan removed the bearing cap and whats left of the bearing. The crank looks very clean. No scratches or galding. The bearing cap and rod have some scratches but have measured to be within tolerance round.

What are my options for rod replacement? I have been unable to find replacement rods for the 931 anywhere. Are 951 the same?
What are my options for rod bolts. I dont want to replace them but have been told that its a must. Are there options?

Look forward to hearing responses.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1980 931 connecting rods, bolts, and bearings. Reply with quote

Funkyguru wrote:
Hello All,

This is my first post here so forgive me if my protocol is off.

Recently bought a 1980 931 with 70k miles on it. This engine has a spun #2. The PO said he caught it at idle and hadn't driven or ran the car since diagnosis.

I've dropped the pan removed the bearing cap and whats left of the bearing. The crank looks very clean. No scratches or galding. The bearing cap and rod have some scratches but have measured to be within tolerance round.

What are my options for rod replacement? I have been unable to find replacement rods for the 931 anywhere. Are 951 the same?
What are my options for rod bolts. I dont want to replace them but have been told that its a must. Are there options?

Look forward to hearing responses.

Welcome to the board! Is this that tan 1980 931 that has been for sale for a while? If so, it looked to be overall in pretty good shape.

OEM rod bolts and nuts are currently unavailable. I have two sets left of the last run we did of the ARP bolts. Matching rod nuts are add'l, but plentiful. Bearings also available in standard and first oversize.

The rods are quite stout. If they measured within spec, I wouldn't worry about replacing them unless they're bent, in which case I have three or four spare matched sets on hand.

Everything you need is here: http://garage.ideola.com/prod-EngineRebuildKits.html

Send me a PM with needs and I can prepare a custom quote.
Funkyguru  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed the tan one that's been floating around awhile! It is in very good condition aside from the green carpet on the interior. My goal is to restore to near factory provided I can source parts.

Thanks for the response. I sent a grocery list via PM.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!

Ideola is your man! Good luck with the rebuild.

Cheers,

Ian

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
bureau13  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that is the brown carpet that the sun turns green? I have that issue in mine as well. I wonder if anyone has had any luck redying them? Or does someone sell a carpet kit for this car.

Funkyguru wrote:
It is indeed the tan one that's been floating around awhile! It is in very good condition aside from the green carpet on the interior. My goal is to restore to near factory provided I can source parts.

Thanks for the response. I sent a grocery list via PM.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

2007 Hummer H3 (Daily Driver)

Past lives (I miss them all):
2004 RX-8 (Wrecked)
1993 RX-7 (Sold)
1987 RX-7 Turbo II (Sold)
1985 RX-7 GSL (Stolen)
Funkyguru  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bureau13

Yes the carpet definitely used to be brown. Re-dying would certainly be something worth looking into especially since the carpet itself is in great condition. I'll let you know if I find a good process.

Anyone heard from Ideola in the past few weeks? I tried to contact him about some parts but haven't recieved a response. Perhaps I'm using the IM feature incorrectly.
Funkyguru  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: The correct rod Bearings? Reply with quote

Hey All,

Well I received my replacement rod bearings but they don't appear to be correct. The old bearing that came out of the #2 cylinder has a groove running the outer diameter of the bearing. The cap and rod have a dog that rides in the bearing groove.

Is it possible that the rods in this engine are non-standard?

This is my first time dealing with rod bearings, am I missing something?

Your input is appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: