Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Door Latch Adjustment Failure - Any Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickF  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Door Latch Adjustment Failure - Any Ideas? Reply with quote

I've encountered a problem with the repair of my passenger side door handle that really has me stumped. I would really appreciate some suggestions/help figuring this one out. The roll pin that attaches the actuating door latch linkage to the outer handle fell out causing my passenger door handle to stop working. I obtained another pin, installed it and reassembled the handle. The assembly functions normally not installed. I reinstalled the handle and followed Clark's Garage instructions for adjustment. I adjusted the plastic linkage clip down in 1/2 turn increments from 3 turns to 1 turn and the linkage does not release the latch far enough to free the door for opening. Any further the the clip will come off the linkage. Any ideas?

Also, the white door lock linkage fell off the ball joint and I am not sure which end of it is assembled to the handle mechanism, the fat end or the thin end.

Thanks for any and all help.
edredas  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when the door won't open with the handle then it is adjusted too short. The longer the linkage, the easier it will be to open since it is pushing down.

Also the fat end of the door lock linkage connects to the door. Make sure the sides with the bigger holes are on the ball joints and that will ensure you have it installed correctly.

I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
RickF  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

That's what is stumping me, (The longer the linkage, the easier it will be to open since it is pushing down). I've got the adjustment out as far as I can without losing the clip and the door still won't release/open.

Thank you for the guidance on the door lock linkage. I have it installed upside down.
edredas  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah gotcha, its been a while but that was always the issue that had. It seems I always end up turning it the wrong way and making it shorter. If I remember correctly, both ends of the arm are threaded and you have to get them to expand 50/50... other than that I'm not sure what could be wrong.
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem and straightened the link rod a little as it is bent normally
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
RickF  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie,

I thought about straightening the bends a little on the linkage but am a bit concerned about alignment. I'll give that a try first and if it doesn't work I can always buy a new linkage assembly. One thing I just noticed is the original rod portion of the actuator linkage, (the broken one that I had to replace), is approximately 3.5mm longer than the rod on the new linkage I installed! Hmmm...
RickF  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted to straighten the linkage and the installed the handle 5 more times, (1/2 turn on the adjustable socket each time from 1/2 to 2 and 1/2 turns), without any success. I then decided to fabricate an extension to allow the linkage to push the ball connector further down. The original threads measured 12mm. [img] . I removed 4mm from the end, [img] fabricated the extension [/img], assembled with the plastic coupling connector and then tried to reinstall. [img], [/img]. The assembly worked a total of 5 times and then jammed the linkage assembly with the door closed. Nothing I tried would open the door. As a result I had to cut off the outside door handle to get to the inside mechanism and open the door. So.... I've decided to replace the entire inside the door mechanism and door latch assembly along with another door handle I just got from one of our members, (Thanks Steve. ) Has anyone replaced these assemblies, (a "How To Do"), and do you have any suggestions. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Rick[img][/img][img][/img]
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. I'm having the same issue. I sent a car off to paint without the handles and now the drivers handle won't open the door no matter how much I adjust it. When I watch the mechanism it looks like its rolling to one side. My guess is that they've bent something in the door trying to open it wrong. I need to have this car finished this weekend so hopefully I'll get it figured out. I could really use one of those extensions right now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: