Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Volvo engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anders_Gus  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Volvo engine Reply with quote

Hi I'm from sweden and volvo engines is very cheap to buy and also to tune here. I don't know anything of the prices in the rest of the world. But it is realatively cheap to build an engine with about 300-500 hp and it's light because it's a 4-cylinder turbo.
I wonder if anyone here has tried to convert to a volvo engine in their 924. I will probably try to convert to an B230FK volvo with volvo transmission and eventually 944 turbo brakes.

It would be nice if anyone who knows anything about this conversion could give me some advice.

/Anders
Peter_in_AU  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever done an engine conversion before? Do you have the slightest idea about what is involved with interfacing the electronics of a modern engine with the electrical system of a 20 year old car?

Have you ever looked at a Volvo engine and a 924 engine? If you have then you know more about your subject than anyone else on this planet.

How high is the volvo engine? Is it designed to run when tilted over 40+ degrees so it fits under the bonnet/hood of a 924? Can you custom fabricate a bell-housing? Why do you think anyone would waste time and money doing such a conversion?

The entire planet is swamped in cheap engines that make thousands of horsepower. Leave the volvo engine where it belongs, in a volvo.

Learn to love your multimeter and may the search be with you
Cavallino  

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a Porsche 924S 2.5 and a Volvo 360 B200E/A

A B230 just won't fit, A 924 block is not so high as a Volvo... I would like a B230 turbo in mij Volvo 360 though
Anders_Gus  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why i´ve decided to do this is that volvo is far more cheaper to tune up here in sweden. It is very easy to find parts and everything is reliable and uncomplicated.
The 230ET and FT uses very little electronics. The engines are fitted in cars made in the late 80:s.

I´m note sure if the engine is low enought for the 924 and if it could be tilted that much. But i´m going to look into it.
Nick Neves  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: volvo lovers anonymous... Reply with quote

I love volvo turbo 4s! very cheep and easy to mod, and they came with big intercoolers. check out www.turbobricks.com if you do this swap, though, you are going to have a motor that is a few inches higher than the plane of your hood, you may have to get one of those chevy camaro hood cowls to fit the motor in... would you use a volvo tranny? if so, you should scrap the whole rear suspension. the Miata guys have noticed that teh independant rear of a miata has it's own bolt in frame that may be easy to adapt to other cars. parallel a arms would be nice, and the 94 on rear ends can handle 250 hp. tub it and add deep dish wheels to the rear! anyway, tons of work, but i like your thinking.
nick><>
Anders_Gus  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear suspension = 944 turbo
Rear tranny = 944 turbo
Breakes = 944 turbo
Front susp. = 944 turbo
Steering = 944 turbo

Wheels = rear 265 wide and front 205

Engine B230ET, and volvo transmission (custom built with seq. gears)
The engine is easily capable of 4-500 bhp.
The engine will be controlled by a megasquirt system.

I thought of creating a custom hood in fiberglass which has a bulb over the engine. I know it should be possible and I know a ot of volvo tuners who will help me with the installation when the project reaches that point.

The car will be built as a racecar / steet racer with full roll cage and a minimum of electronical functions.

The body is a 924 Carrerra replica in fiberglass.
I will not give up this project and I believe that nothing is impossible, with the right amount of modification.

/Anders
Nick Neves  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, anders,
if you can, take some digital pictures and put them up here so we can see your progress. best of luck.
nick><>
Munken  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in sweden do you live?? Själv så bor jag i Norrland!
MugenRep  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if the B234F, Porsche designed head, could be adapted to the EA831? Kinda like the turboford.org guys do with the Folvo head swap. Doubt it’s possible, but ya never know.
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to shift BOTH transmissions?

gegge  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several transaxle redblockpowered Porsches in Sweden. Look at rejsa.nu or 944sverige.com for more info. 250hp B230 NA to turbocharged 16V.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Engine Transplants All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: