Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Brake light switch removal....Tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maddhatter1  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Brake light switch removal....Tips? Reply with quote

I need to replace one of the brake light switches on my 77 and looking at it I see there is not much room to operate there, let alone get a wrench into. Do I have to remove the master cylinder to remove this or is there an easier way to do this without removing lots of things that I am not seeing? Thanks in advance.

Steve
77 924
maddhatter1  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I need to update this a little more after doing a little investigation. I was referring to the brake light pressure switches that attach to the master cylinder. I thought that this was where the switch was located because when I looked in the usual spot on the pedal, there was no switch at all. So I was thinking that maybe the pressure switches work the lights alone and there is no switch on the brake pedal on this year. I see the bracket where I would assume the switch would be, but nothing is there....just empty holes in the bracket. So I guess my question is.....is there actually supposed to be a switch assembly on the pedal on the 77 model or does the pressure switch do all the triggering?
!tom  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are indeed two brake light pressure switches on the master cylinder of your model year car. If one activates and the other doesn't, this signals the brake warning light on the dash. They are also used to light the brake lights on the car.

Later models use a switch on the pedal using the mounts you found; there were many future upgrades designed into the car from the beginning.

I've never tried to remove the switches with the master cylinder installed. Like pretty much everywhere on the car, big hands can be a disadvantage.
maddhatter1  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, now I don't feel so stupid. Strange that the local auto parts place had a listing for a brake light switch for this year, but its not the pressure switch.
nikobbell  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post is old but putting this in in case anyone down the road finds it helpful. I just changed the two brake light switches without taking off the master cylinder. I just used a wrench with a short handle. The steel brake lines are in the way but with a little maneuvering it can be done. Finicky but i managed to get them both in in about 20 minutes. Make sure you have the new one in hand and ready when you take the old one off so you don't lose too much brake fluid
2002 mercedes c230 kompressor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: