Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Transforming my 30 year old 924S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtissboggs  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Transforming my 30 year old 924S Reply with quote

This thread is about the progress of my 924S from when I bought it in 2011 until today. As we all have done, I've put a ton of work and money into this thing, and I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

Here it is when I got it in 2011:

I decided to ditch the American bumpers and "PORSCHE" reflector between the taillights. While I was at it, I repainted the rear of the car to clean up where it had been backed into. I added some cup 1 wheels to update the look a little bit.

I was happy with the way it looked for a while, but the reflectors bugged the hell out of me. They belong on a bicycle, not on a Porsche. I lived with them, until the car was backed into again and had the chance to do more body work. After a while, I started working on fixing the damage to the driver's side fender and door, and one thing led to another.

Damage:

First I replaced the driver's side fender with one I had laying around from a parts car. I decided to weld the reflector hole shut and do some body work to it

For some reason, I decided that I needed a Saratoga top, and when one came up for sale locally, I pounced on it.

I also decided that I needed a new Momo steering wheel

Then I attempted to fix the door damage, but it was too severe; so I took it off and tired some other doors I have laying around. They were just as dinged up and had previous layers of filler. So I ended up buying one from a 944 parts dealer locally (John in Hagerstown, MD).

After some adjustment of the door (and minor filler) I fitted the door and new fender.

At this point, I had a choice. The car had been painted so many times previously, I acquired the nickname "50 shades of Red". So instead of just painting the door and the fender (It would have made it 6 different shades of red had i not painted it all); I decided to start sanding on the entire thing. It took about 2.5 months of hand sanding and breaking down to the car to get it ready for paint.

I took it to a local paint shop to get it sprayed. I bought all new rubber seals for the windows, mirrors and trim (Every single piece). I replaced the hatch with one from my brother's 944 turbo, and I filled in all the reflectors. I took off every piece of trim, sanded it, and resprayed them in black. No stone was undisturbed.

I even fixed new hood struts; adjusted the rear hatch so it opens flawlessly. Inside I replaced the door panels (had been cut out for PO's big speakers) and replaced the trim panel under the quarter windows because they were rotting and peeling apart.

At the paint shop:

I spent a few days putting it all back together, replacing every piece of trim and connecting everything up.

Before:

After:

6 years of ownership, and I could not be happier with the results. It turns a lot of heads for a 30 year-old car. It's perfect...expected for that cracked dash.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done ! For what it's worth you can buy a new dash here to really make it PERFECT :

http://www.werk924.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=26

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, there are better wheels for it out there
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on. Nice to see the Euro updates. I like the Cup wheels. Just needs the fitment of rear wheel spats off a turbo. Maybe add the side strips off a late 944?
peterld  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job! Love your work.
porsche_reg  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, great work. Agree with Carrera, "spats" would look nice.
'12 Subaru Outback
SteveLE  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Front Euro Bumper Reply with quote

Loving the Euro front bumper and lights, where did you source that?
74' 914LE
97' Carrera
curtissboggs  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front Euro Bumper Reply with quote

SteveLE wrote:
Loving the Euro front bumper and lights, where did you source that?

I bought them from Justin Webb. He's based in the UK and frequently breaks down 924's for parts. He's active on the 944 groups on facebook, so you may be able to find him there.
MugenRep  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the clean simple aesthetic changes. Really makes it look clean and smooth!
Peegle  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: