Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 bearing caps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a239947  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: 924 bearing caps Reply with quote

Anybody have some 924 bearing caps.
got a bit excited and broke a couple.

really kinda annoyed right now.

also i noticed some of the early 2000s VW 1.8 and 2.0L engines run the same caps, does anyone think its possible to replace them with a set from these?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just ruined the locating dowels, I have a bag of them as I lost one and had to get a bunch.
cricketdesigns.com
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, saw your post for cam bearing caps, my dowels are for main bearing caps.
cricketdesigns.com
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you broke cam bearing caps you are in a mess..

To replace them legit you would have to undersize them and have them line bored, whick will lower your cam in the head and you will have to change the valve clearance settings possibly dirastically..

Cam bearing caps are unique parts, no 2 are really the same..
You might get lucky and find 1 out of 10 that might work maybe for each one and run it, but you risk eating that bearing, ruining the cam and who knows what other bearings might eat pieces of metal..

You would probably be best off looking for a replacement head rather than the machine shop route but you might be able to make something like I said above run if you want to take a chance at a catastrophic failure..
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
a239947  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have read about a bunch of guys who seem to have gotten away with it by throwing in a close match set. But I am aware of the risks. It does seem there are new caps available around the place but it requires line boring the head like you say.
Unfortunately a new head is not an option in Australia. they are super expensive if you can find them because the cars are so rare here. On top of that you're looking at $1000+ for a head rebuild due to labour costs.
I have found someone who is sending me some second hand caps. If they are not closely matched enough for what I want then I will just buy new ones and have the head machined. it will probably all still be cheaper then trying to source a new head as the one I have has just been rebuilt.
Even getting a head from overseas is an expensive option due to sending such a large heavy item to this part of the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: