Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Engine Swap Candidates for 924NA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmcaya2  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Engine Swap Candidates for 924NA Reply with quote

First of all, I have no problem with the power of my 924 NA - it's what it is - a great handling sports car with nice power for its day - like 1 hp/ci. But it's sleeping for the winter and has around 195 K miles - so .....fantasy time.....

Given the current crop of 2.0 liter 4's delivering around 2 hp/ci .... do any fit for an easy engine swap? Are some better candidates than others? Concerns are engine height of inter-cooler and adapter from flywheel to drive shaft. I owe the car some TLC in the spring, so any brainstorm ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for your ideas - Peter
snakoil  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

common swaps are LS engines and getting more popular nowadays is the VW 1.8T
I believe there was 1 guy who did a VR6 swap but had to do an ugly bulge in the hood.

on my side my 924 is more of a week-end cruiser/learning workbench.
So this winter I'm rebuilding a new 2.0L with ported head, headers and Webbers DCO40
Eric P  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it really boils down to what you want and how much you're looking to spend.

As Snakoil said, LS and 1.8T are the common swaps so there's plenty of support out there for whichever road you take. I see a lot of people thinking about engine upgrades, but not a whole lot about brake upgrades, transmission upgrades, etc. Sure it's cool to have 400hp, but if you shred your transaxle, it won't do you much good. It's always nice to be able to stop too, albeit overrated.

As far as the roads less traveled:

There are plenty other engines out there that would fit, but I'm sure a lot of people would have a problem with putting a Japanese engine in a German car. I don't have much experience with Japanese cars, but there are a ton of people who could probably chime in here.

If I were to head down the road of an engine swap, I would start by looking into the Pontiac GTP's supercharged 3800 series V6. It puts out a respectable 260hp. Enough, but not too much. It's reliable enough to outlast the cars they were put in so they're fairly easy to find and cheap when you do. But then again, I haven't measured or anything so it very well may not fit. If people aren't going that route, there's probably a reason.

Other than that, the ford modular engines are pretty easy to come by, are cheap, and have tons of aftermarket availability. Again, I haven't measured anything, so space may be an issue.

If you're happy with the 2.0L, I'd leave it until something major breaks then dive in at that point. Any swap you do will require more work than you anticipate. There's no such thing as a bolt in swap for these cars. The 1.8T is the closest fit I know of, but even that doesn't just drop in. You're still left with engine mounting, wiring, exhaust, fuel delivery, etc.
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audi 20v i5. The easiest swap and a legendary engine.
Adismo  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthompson wrote:

Hard to find either
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adismo wrote:
nickthompson wrote:

Hard to find either

I know a guy that was 5 i5 Audis. They aren't that hard to find if you shake some trees.
Adismo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthompson wrote:
Adismo wrote:
nickthompson wrote:

Hard to find either

I know a guy that was 5 i5 Audis. They aren't that hard to find if you shake some trees.
haha nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: