Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel System Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrobinson  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Fuel System Parts Reply with quote

Hey guys! I have a 78 924 that sat for 25 years. Although I was told the fuel was drained during this time, the tank is DIRTY. I'm having a very hard time finding a damper/ silencer and seal for bottom of tank. Finding parts in general has been frustrating to say the least. A lot of the sites listed in the tech section no longer exist or have only the most generic parts. Any help is greatly appreciated! Merry Christmas!

Jason
924-76  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel System Parts Reply with quote

Welcome a"board" Jason,

jrobinson wrote:
I'm having a very hard time finding a damper/ silencer and seal for bottom of tank.

First, their is no damper/silencer on the fuel system, you are probably referencing the black plastic pre-pump fuel filter; #28 in the link below:
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=924-76-79&section=201-14

Second, using the same website, please indicate which seal.

Cheers
jrobinson  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first of I hope you guys are having a great Christmas!! Now down to business.... I'm very confused. I see in the diagram where it calls it a fuel filter. It definitely looks like what I'm talking about. However, here is my confusion; the Hanes manual describes this part perfectly and calls it a silencer/ damper with one moving part. Inside of this part seems to fit what the Hanes manual says. When I removed it, the fuel was more dirty than I have ever seen. I have no doubt as to why the fuel pump is dying. Cost needs to be kept to a minimum as I really went nuts for Christmas, but I need the Porsche to get around for the next three weeks or so ( rear ended hit and run, main car in shop). I would like to flush the tank as best I can ( need gasket for bottom of tank, this part, and new fuel pump and filter ). I am going to try and post pics of part- inside of part that looks like some kind of gear- Hanes description- and dirty fuel for wow factor. I know tank should be replaced, but money, time, possibility of opening can of worms!
924-76  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobinson wrote:
the Hanes manual describes this part perfectly and calls it a silencer/ damper

I bought a new one from local Porsche dealer about 10 years ago for $20 and Porsche call it a fuel filter. Also, it job is to catch crap in fuel before making it into the fuel pump: filter.
Try your local Porsche dealer, they may have to order it.
Cheers
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up in Maysville, West of Salida. I should have the filter, I can look in AM. When I needed a new gasket I just used Permatex Motoseal #1 available at Carquest and it worked perfectly, it is a gas proof gasket maker. Try running some gas thru your filter backwards and some low pressure 30psi compressed air. PM me for phone#.
cricketdesigns.com
jrobinson  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: FUEL TANK Reply with quote

UPDATE-
I opened up fuel tank to clean it out the best I can. There was a hose inside the bottom of the tank that may have been connected to the fuel return. It was completely rotting away causing all the debris. I removed this line and flushed out the tank. I put it all back together. No change. Put in new Fuel pump, No change. Took off fuel filter in engine compartment and turned on pump. I got an initial big spurt of fuel then it dribbled. I bypassed the damper/ silencer/filter that is between the tank and pump. Now I have a smooth constant flow of fuel to the engine compartment. Engine won't run for more than a few seconds.

seems like there is the sound of some cavitation in the fuel distributer. Could it be getting too much fuel flow without damper? Did that fuel hose inside the tank make a difference? Is the system not pressurized enough to push fuel through the injectors anymore due to removing the Damper? FRUSTRATED!!!!!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing fuel flowing in the distributor is good..

Run a bunch of techron through the system while doing an injector test procedure and get the guages and fittings you need to do a proper CIS pressure test..
jrobinson  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

No fuel getting to injectors. still need to find damper. I'm thinking that the Pressure regulating piston is stuck open and allowing all fuel to return to tank and not allowing any pressure to build up.????? I get fuel to the fuel distributor, but not to the injectors ( doesn't come out of top of distributor.) Fuel plunger seems to move smoothly. Where would I find a new O-ring for the pressure regulating piston?

I still need a damper/ Silencer. It makes A LOT of noise
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

jrobinson wrote:
No fuel getting to injectors. still need to find damper. I'm thinking that the Pressure regulating piston is stuck open and allowing all fuel to return to tank and not allowing any pressure to build up.????? I get fuel to the fuel distributor, but not to the injectors ( doesn't come out of top of distributor.) Fuel plunger seems to move smoothly. Where would I find a new O-ring for the pressure regulating piston?

I still need a damper/ Silencer. It makes A LOT of noise

the damper is just for restarting purposes, it does nothing while the car is running, it's just a starting aid..

Pull the system pressure regulator plunger out of the distributor and check it out..

Do you have returns from the distributor back to the tank?
jrobinson  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Distributor Reply with quote

Yes,
I do have return fuel to the tank, but nothing to the injectors. Going to pull pressure regulating piston now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Cars and Parts Wanted/For Sale All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: