Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1978 924 na transmission fluid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwan2cruz  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: 1978 924 na transmission fluid Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1978 924 NA and am doing the usual maintenance stuff, this has 43,200 miles.
I have searched and contacted Red line for the correct transmission/transazle fluid and it seems that Redline 75/90 MT-90 is the way to go?
Thank you
Gary

1978 924 Special Edition
kevingross  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq09.html
catelluseng@gmail.com
Eric P  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like most people here go with the Redline MT-90 75w-90.

I went with Amsoil 80W-90 Synthetic. The spec sheet says "Can also be used in rear axles where API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended." I haven't had any problems in the few thousand miles I drove it since. Actually, all my syncro noise went away and shifting is much smoother after changing out the fluid. I don't necessarily know if I went with the right product though, so I'll probably change it out in the spring. Even if I do have the wrong oil, it's for sure better than the sludge that was in there and will probably flush everything out nicely. I think Amsoil is the only company that makes a synthetic gear lube for our transaxles. Check out Amsoil "Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90"

I will note that the seals at my CV axles are weeping (no drips, but enough to collect road dust) a bit since I went to synthetic, so I may switch back to dino oil.

Honestly, I don't think brand matters much as long as you get 80W-90 (manual recommendation) or 75W-90 and you have the GL-4 rating. The 80W rating is getting harder to find and I doubt you'll notice a difference going to the 75W.

I'm definitely going to give Redline a shot in my 924S and may be in my 924 too if I can get a good deal on the MT-90.

TL;DR: Yes, Redline MT-90 75W-90 is a good option.
gwan2cruz  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: 1978 924 na transmission fluid Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I ordered some Red Line synthetic 75/90 and best best price I found was on eBay, I bought a 3 pack. Now to try and get the plugs out, seems like this is the original gear oil based on how the plugs are stuck.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you're literally only 20 min from me! I'll be in Lima this weekend if you want a hand? I have the 17mm hex tool to remove the transmission plugs that you're welcome to use if you need it.

By the way, ALWAYS take out the top plug first. That way if the top one won't come out, you're not stuck with no fluid.
gwan2cruz  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: 1978 924 na transmission fluid Reply with quote

Hey Eric P, I wondered where you were in NY, thanks for the offer but I do have the socket, but the plug is a bit stubborn. I have been soaking in with PB Blaster and have not messed up the plug.... yet. Maybe we can touch base and compare notes on the 924 sometime.
I am a old school VW bug guy, and did own a 1960 Porsche convertible, still kicking myself for selling that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: