Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bursch muffler 77 na california import

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csglasgow  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Bursch muffler 77 na california import Reply with quote

Greetings from Pasadena. I'm currently in conversation with the manufacturers of Bursch exhaust systems here in Pasadena, California and am attempting to resolve a confusion about the products they offer. Hoping to see if any of you all have run into similar issues and and how you resolved them. I have an early 1977 924 na that was a California import with catalytic converter.

My car was equipped with a 4 speed transmission and oval muffler part number: 477 253 125 S

and thus had a different exhaust support bracket part number: 477 253 255 B

Currently Bursch doesn't seem to offer am exhaust system to fit my car, the supplied mounting bracket has a different mounting bolt pattern and is intended to replace the round style original muffler offered in the other 49 states.

Has anyone else had trouble finding an aftermarket "bolt on" exhaust system?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttrv3fetyxgg8sg/Screen%20Shot%202017-11-21%20at%204.13.36%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2sbl9jzhava3sb/Screen%20Shot%202017-11-21%20at%204.13.57%20PM.png?dl=0
spence_1  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Beware Bursch Reply with quote

Csglasgow,

Here is my (ongoing) story with my Bursch Exhaust:
I recently ordered the whole Bursch exhaust system (Headers/Cat delete pipe/cat back), and I have to say it has defiantly been an experience.
First off, the headers they sent me came with an EGR valve bung (which I don’t have) and NO O2 sensor bung (which I do have). I must have read it wrong, saw “comes with bung” and thought that meant for O2.
So I ended up plugging the EGR valve with a custom designed bolt and nut. Then I had to go get a nut/bung for the O2 sensor and got a welder to install the bung.
I also had him weld the tail pipe onto the muffler because apparently clamps don’t work well for tail pieces (I think Bursch should have sent me this already welded).
I also put in new stainless steel exhaust studs (from Renbay, apparently they do fit the 2.0L)
When installing the headers (had to pull the alternator and jack up the engine, cut a 12mm wrench down to a 1” length to tighten the exhaust nuts) I had some fitment issues and had to cut off some of the engine mounts brackets and a tiny bit of the body where the suspension bolts on, to fit them.
The piece that bolts up to the headers is supposed to have a doughnut gasket on the outgoing side (which I had to buy separately) to allow for flexibility at the cat. Unfortunately, the Cat delete pipe does not have anywhere for the doughnut to sit, so I had to buy a reducer and friction fit it into the end of the cat delete pipe and chop most of the end off so the gasket would have somewhere to sit. I couldn’t find any spring bolts (for the doughnut gasket) that would fit the flange holes for the bolts to go in, so I had to make custom spring bolts (with springs I bought from home hardware and stainless steel bolts).
Absolutely NONE of the mounting systems are even CLOSE to similar so I have been developing my own mounting points/hardware/systems.
I bought the Bursch system from Seirra Madre and it took over a month for them to prepare to ship it.
When it says ”bolts on, no welding required”= I call total BS.
I’m just lucky I didn’t need this done in a hurry.

Beware the Bursch.
Spencer
csglasgow  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. This is the same sort of nightmare I'm trying to clear up with them. Bursch is under new ownership so any stories like this I can pass their way would be beneficial to them as they are trying to organize things and make corrections. I met with their engineer and manger and they are enthusiastic on making this corrections. I figured I would gather all the feedback, fitment issues, model discrepancies as it would ultimately benefit us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: