Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1982 924 won't start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
81924gray  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: 1982 924 won't start Reply with quote

hello, I'm new to this forum and also to Porsches. i purchased a 1982 924 from a friend of friend because it was destined for the junkyard. previous owner said it just wouldn't start the last time he went to move it, like 5 years ago. i put in a battery and turned the key and it kicked over but didn't run. i put some gas in it, hoping it might break up the varnish that's likely sitting in the tank. now it only cranks. Can i spray ether, starting fluid, in the throttle body and crank it to see if it fires like any other car? just want to confirm that its fuel related. Then next i have to assume i need to get a fuel strainer and i need to bench test the external fuel pump and likely check the intank pump some how.
Defender405  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as it's not a turbo then yes, you can spray starting fluid into the TB. Make sure to get it into the butterfly area and then re-connect the plastic parts back to the air filter. The CIS fuel injection needs intake vacuum to meter fuel flow. I don't know enough on the turbos to give advice on this point.

1979 924 N/A
1975 MGB
1991 Infiniti M30
1987 300ZX Turbo
81924gray  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its a Non aspirated model. would like to get this thing running so i can move it around. might be a fun autocross course car
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post on the welcome noobs sticky is a good place to start. Likely one of these components in the fuel system.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=26781&start=240
1981 Weissach Edition #179
81924gray  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i've been checking whatever i can on this car. i found the battery cables are getting hot. i found an old email correspondence between the previous owner and one of his friends that knew more about the 924 than he did. email was dated 2005 and went something like it won't start and the battery cables got soo hot from cranking it that they smoked. his friend said likely he has a short somewheres. i'm gonna assume that the car hasnt run from at least 2005. now i guess i need to find this short in the electricals. any ideas where to start?
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is probably no short.
If there was one there would be sparks and fire.
The starter circuit is a high amperage circuit.
The reason why it gets hot is because you are over using it and probably the ground connections are corroded.

Remove the air filter from its box and spray some starter fluid there.
If it starts then your problem is fuel, if not its spark or severe lack of compression.

You could start by cleaning each connector and terminal with sand paper and greasing them up in the starter circuit(thick wires that go from the battery terminals down under the engine).
Then you could either do the starter fluid thing or you could remove one spark plug, pop its connector back on and leave it somewhere on the engine where it contacts the intake manifold with its hexagon area. Then crank the engine and see if it makes a spark.

Anyway, first you should check if the fuel pump is running.
Locate it and have somebody turn on the ignition while you hold your hand on the pump, if you dont feel it working its either the pump dead or the fuel pump relay.
81924gray  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for that bit of insight. maybe il check the ground, clean and tighten the cables well and see what i have. doing this alone its hard to check the fuel pump. do the fuel pump relays go bad?
Goldwolf  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do go bad. I think a lot of folks carry an extra in the glove box.
1981 Weissach Edition #179
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they go belly up when you least expect them to.
When you turn on the ignition you should hear the pump buzz for a few seconds and then turn off.
Take a picture of the relay board and post it here...lets see whats going on there.
81924gray  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose i need to find it first
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Porsche 924 fuel pump location and Porsche 924 relay panel for pictures.

Pump is in the rear, back of the rear right wheel...visible from outside the car if you look under the body.

Relay is under the dash, left side of the steering wheel.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When troubleshooting why a vehicle won't run, there are three things you need to identify:

Are you getting fuel?
Are you getting spark?
Are you getting compression?

If you have all three in the correct amount and at the correct time, your car should run. Note that you may have more than one issue with the car. Bad seals in the fuel system and corrosion in the electrical system are very common.

Start with general items. Check your oil. If the level is ok, don't replace it yet. if not, top it off. Check your air filter. Replace if necessary. Check your battery. Is it charged? Look under the hood for any dry-rotted rubber hoses or boots. Replace as necessary. These cars do NOT like vacuum leaks at all and will run rough or not at all if there are leaks in anything under the hood.

Once you have the general items out of the way, on to the first question... Do you have fuel? Fuel is the most common issue with a vehicle that has been sitting any length of time. Empty the gas tank by removing the fuel line at the bottom of the tank and draining it into a suitable container. If it's been sitting 5 years, the gas is too old. Reconnect the fuel line and put about 5 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank.

Go out and buy a new set (4) fuel injector o-rings. Old o-rings get hard and pose a significant fire hazard. Go under the hood and pull the 4 fuel injectors out. replace all 4 o-rings. Put the tips of the injectors in fuel resistant bottles.

Remove the rubber intake boot closest to the air box and open the air box up. Remove the air filter

Look under the dash on the driver's side and find the fuse/relay panel. It looks like this:

Pull relay #2 (fuel pump) and connect pins 30 and 87 with a jumper wire. This is the far left and far right pin for the FP relay. Once connected, you should hear the fuel pump kick on.

Assuming you hear the pump turn on, run to the front of the car and check to see if any of your fuel injectors are spraying. None should be spraying. Not even a dribble is acceptable.

After confirming that the injectors are NOT spraying, go to the back of the car and put a hand on the bottom of the gas tank. You should feel the in-tank pump running. Now put a hand on the in-line pump. You should feel that running as well. Now, go back to the front of the car. Reach into the air box and lift the flow plate that you exposed by taking the rubber intake boot off. By lifting the plate, you're raising the pressure in the injector lines. The injectors should start to spray a fine mist and "sing". You'll know what I mean when you hear it. It's a squealing/squeaking noise. Make sure that all the injectors are spraying a fine mist and not a stream. Let go of the plate and make sure that all the bottles on your injectors have the same amount of fuel in them. Check the injectors again for drips.

Go inside the car and remove your jumper wire. Come back here and report your findings. You will have just tested the fuel pump, fuel distributor, and fuel injectors. There are a few other parts to the mechanical injection system, but they control the fuel pressure and are difficult to test without a fuel pressure gauge.

If everything checks out, we'll move onto electrical.
81924gray  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good explanation. this is how i will start going about testing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: