Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Heater blower motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Heater blower motor Reply with quote

Well, I just completed my 1500 mile trip to Iowa and back this weekend. Overall it went smoothly, and I only had one issue.

The heater fan motor died about 300 miles in. I have power to the motor, but it's difficult to spin by hand. I'm assuming by the noise it made that the brushes finally gave out.

I'm trying to find photos showing the removal of an early (1980) style blower. Most of the photos I've found are broken photobucket photos. I've gathered that I have to remove the dash or at least the console to get at the motor, but I'd love to see some photos if anyone has them.

Are there any other solutions besides pulling the dash and rebuilding the old armature? The stock fan has always seemed really weak, so I'd like to upgrade it if I have to go through all that trouble anyway. It would be even better if I could upgrade it and replace everything from under the hood.
CÚdric  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get it from above, but that includes cutting the plastic holding the fan and gluing it back with some reinforcements. I did it that way since i didn't have time or wanted to pull the dash then. It works perfectly. I have pics if you can't find any other ones. I got the inspiration from another board member who did it in a similar way.
http://www.garaget.org/?car=160275
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CÚdric wrote:
It is possible to get it from above, but that includes cutting the plastic holding the fan and gluing it back with some reinforcements. I did it that way since i didn't have time or wanted to pull the dash then. It works perfectly. I have pics if you can't find any other ones. I got the inspiration from another board member who did it in a similar way.

If you would be able to post pictures of what you did, I would really appreciate it! I found a few threads where people retrofitted another fan, but it's almost impossible to tell what they did or how they did it without photos.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a VW Rabbit motor in and could also send pics, but it got pretty ugly to do as getting the case back together was a real cluge job. I have a fan motor(vertical) that spins from my take-a-part car that spins, but no guarantees other than that that you would be welcome to for cost of shipping, but I'm traveling until Nov 25.
cricketdesigns.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: