Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Better Forum Format?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Better Forum Format? Reply with quote

I 'm not sure how to phrase it, and by no means a computer expert. The question is . How could we change to a more modern format where it would be easier to post pictures and do searches?. Realizing it would be very good to keep the historical and technical pages also. Obviously, I don't really know how to phrase all this.

Our vintage racing group recently switched over to a YUKU format, but don't know its limitations. We have a separate website(RMVR.com and then the forum is on YUKU. I will contact th VR folks and ask them how they approached it.

I would be willing to make a donation to help fund it.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, im afraid this forum will slowly die like many others if it isn't updated with a simple picture upload service etc. People tend to go to other places like FB where uploading is much more simple.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll donate 50 euro for some hard drives added to the server.
membership should be now more strict, as you join perhaps you should have a limit of 10mb and as you post more and more you can get up to whatever gb of useable space.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly PHPBB is close to the best solution. There's really no good solution, either... as forum software is inherently complex. Having run a board before, I can say that it was a lot of thankless work.

Seeing as this board is already in place, maybe it would make sense to bid out a modern skin to it, or seek out plugins that offer better capacity as images are concerned. Searching is a whole other ballgame, and there are several pieces of software that offer independent indexing and searchability. The easiest way around that though would be a Google Custom Search, which is roughly equivalent of typing the following into a Google search page:

Quote:
radiator temperature sensor site:924board.org

What other functionality do you all want to see on the board?

FWIW it might be pretty simple to set up a plugin that works as an image uploader to imgur or some other free image hosting service. Again though, as with most solutions on a forum, the greater functionality you want to add, potentially the more a moderator has to participate.

Just my two cents. If you want better image stuff, I'd be happy to do a writeup on how to manually upload to imgur and then get the best image fit for the forum. That might solve some folks' problems anyhow.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Swedish board that i spend some time on they have made a very neat upload solution, works well even for massupploads, it also resizes pictures to a nice format. The storage space is supplied by the board. Which is nice since every picture since ages are still there. Its also a phpbb board. But in not sure how much work is behind it though.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have into a fellow on the RMVR board for more information. I looked up the forum and it is on tapatalk which I looked up on wikipedia and it said it supports the phpbb3 format as well as many other. This is mainly geek talk to me.

'67 MG Midget Dp
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the current skin.
Its classic
I dont want ads or useless gimmicks on the board.
Search is good enough and for better search function the google site search works great.

I'm for just a simple plugin to store and manage your own photos.
Each user gets a share. Each uoaded picture MUST be posted otherwise it will be deleted. This way we keep things clean while offering everybody a bit of space to post their images.
Keep the rest of the forum as is.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just advocating a change for the sake of change, I'd just like to see it easier to put photos on. If some plug-in would do the job that would be great.

'67 MG Midget Dp
snakoil  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in for the picture upload, this is the main reason I don't post pictures since cardomain went crap 8 years ago.
I'm using tapatalk also for pelicanparts, I think it would make the forum more accessible and generate a bit more traffic.

I'm open to provide donation if it allows us this new functionnality.

I don't know PHP but I have an IT background so maybe I can help on the research or upgrade process.
924-76  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
I love the current skin.
Its classic
I dont want ads or useless gimmicks on the board.
Search is good enough and for better search function the google site search works great.

I'm for just a simple plugin to store and manage your own photos.
Each user gets a share. Each uoaded picture MUST be posted otherwise it will be deleted. This way we keep things clean while offering everybody a bit of space to post their images.
Keep the rest of the forum as is.

+1
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^+1

This is the ONLY forum I read........it's intuitive and free from ads and other crap, though posting pictures easily would be great.

The only time I go near other forums is if I specifically am searching for solutions.

And as for Facebook.......WTF.....that's Kiddies Korner.......so full of rubbish and unimportant twat!

Call me old fashioned, but I like simple, clean, elegant solutions......somewhat like my Porsches.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^+1

This also the only forum that I read. The adds that come with newer massage boards are annoying as hell and put me off. Rennlist used to be similar to this board, then the adds came when they switched over...I actually dread clicking on a link for Rennlist when it comes up in searches.

Now, I would love to have our own picture storage space. Has anyone looked at the How To section? Most of the posts are useless as all the pics have disappeared.

Would be willing to throw in some coin to help with the increase of server space to store pics as well.

Cheers,

Ian

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted a friend who does internet hosting and he told me of a local fellow who does php programming. I sent him an email this AM asking him to look at the site and this thread and send me a proposal.

'67 MG Midget Dp
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a reply back from the programmer I wrote. He said that we shouldn't need a programmer that there are many plug-ins available and the phpbb3 is a fairly powerful program. He suggested looking for plugins or possibly at vbulletin. I googled plugins and one called imagepost.org popped up that looked usable. I have no idea who manages our site or how proceed from here. This is well beyond my level of expertise. I started one computer course in college and it was in FORTRAN and we used punch cards-that really dates me.

'67 MG Midget Dp
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJinCO wrote:
I started one computer course in college and it was in FORTRAN and we used punch cards-that really dates me.

Jesus, you must be like 120 or something
My dad used to tell me stories about punched cards programming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: