Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

DIY Lexan Sunroof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: DIY Lexan Sunroof Reply with quote

I've been toying with this for a couple months now. I really want a clear sunroof, but I have more urgent items to spend $500+ on and my factory sun roof keeps the water out well enough for now. That being said, I don't mind spending up to about $150 to make my own.

Just to get this out of the way: I don't plan on selling them. BUT, as always, I don't mind sharing my notes, photos, part numbers, cad files, etc. if anyone wants to attempt to make their own. I have a couple different approaches floating around in my head and none seem overly difficult. Even making one for a power sunroof application probably won't be too hard and will eventually be attempted.

I bought a used sunroof to use as a form and a few other supplies already, so I plan on giving it a go over the cold winter months.

Would anyone be interested in a tutorial on how to (or how not to) make one when I have a go at it? If anyone has already gone down this road, I'd love to see photos of what you came up with whether you were happy with the results or not.
gegge  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about the same thing, but the sunroof is a lot bigger than the pop-ups. They fitted nicely in the oven together with sandbags. In the end I bought better made instead of using my own.

924 turbo -81 Carrera GT RESTOMOD
924 turbo -80 Dolomite De Luxe
924 -85 DP kit, BBS RS, M030 and tuned engine
924s -86 Black on black turbo with Fuchs
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegge wrote:
I have been thinking about the same thing, but the sunroof is a lot bigger than the pop-ups. They fitted nicely in the oven together with sandbags. In the end I bought better made instead of using my own.

I have access to a large powder coating oven, so the size shouldn't be a huge issue.

I'm thinking the hardest part may be cutting the Lexan precise enough to seal the sunroof but still leave it easy to remove/reinstall. Maybe something like this would work well to seal the edge?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#12335a53/

I've been looking at other seal options too, but this looks to be the most promising so far.

My thought is that I could 3d print adapters and epoxy them to the bottom of the lexan panel. That would allow the original latches to be retained from an old factory sunroof. That would allow the use of parts that should be available to almost everybody and allow people to download the adapter part files so they can have somebody print the parts for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: