Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

No Start, No spark, No coil pulse

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViktorTsoi  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: No Start, No spark, No coil pulse Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently acquired a 84 944 from his dad that had not been driven for some time. He did the FOES, replaced the reference and speed sensors, rotor, cap, and plugs. He said it would start, idle poorly, and die if the accelerator was pressed quickly, but would keep running if the accelerator was pressed slowly. Occasionally would backfire through the intake lightly and die.

He asked me to look at it for him the next day. Wouldn't start, tried starter fluid didn't fire. No tach bounce so suspected DME. Replaced with good one out of my car, no difference. Checked reference and speed sensor with oscilloscope at ECU connector and both have a strong clean signal. Checked power and grounds at the ECU connector with DVOM and then a test light, everything looked good. Checked for coil pulse backprobing at the ecu connector, nothing. Replaced ECU with a good one from my car, no change.

Did not check the injectors, never smelled any fuel so I suspect they are not being fired as well.

Don't know what to check next. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
toast54  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I ran into was a detached DME ground wire (brown) from the fuel pump relay socket. It was well-hidden and there isn't a lot of slack to the wire itself Fixed that and it started, still wouldn't stay running. I had somehow mucked up the potentiometer "arms" in the AFM. It runs, but I still have an issue with the DME and it will die suddenly, but that's another issue to address. Just my .02
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the rotor, that small little @#$Q^$#^ screw that holds it in place, might be missing.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
ViktorTsoi  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it again tonight. Took the cap off, rotor is attached properly.

The owner mentioned the car may have had ignition switch issues in the past so I rechecked the power and grounds to the ecu in the run and start positions.

I pulled the DME relay back out to test power and ground at the socket, all the connectors are present and everything checked out, but there is a 500 ohm resistance on the pin that the ecu grounds (85b I think). The resistance is the same measured at the ecu end.

I stuck the DME relay back in and pulled a plug to check for spark again. I cranked it and could see spark, and the car started and ran on 3 cylinders for a few seconds. I shut it off, put the spark plug back in, restarted it and it idled rough. Revved it up and it ran perfect, revved freely. Let it back down to idle and it died after ten seconds of rough idling.

Would not restart, no spark, no injector pulse, no coil pulse, no tach bounce. It does have fuel pressure.

Unplugged the DME relay, plugged back in. No change. Wiggled it no change. Swapped in different DME relay no change. Swapped the ecu no change.

Seems like an ecu issue to me, but my ecu starts my car just fine. I scoped the reference and speed sensors in my car and they look the same as his.

Does anyone know exactly what inputs the ecu requires to provide the coil pules? I thought it just needed power, ground, reference and speed signals.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the TPS? Seems the car runs at WOT but nothing else.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: