Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Waking a 924se from it's 18 year slumber!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chumwon  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Waking a 924se from it's 18 year slumber! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 1988 924s from a barn here in Michigan to restore it in honor of my grandfather I never met who rallied and road raced his 912. My grandma (her husband) is my hero and was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer so I told her I couldn't afford a 912 like they used to have but I'll get us a porsche to cannonball across the country one last time! I took a risk with buying my first porsche but I'm very mechanically inclined and the Germans knew what they were doing when they built them, I just have to figure out their ways!

This car after going threw maintenance records was last driven in 1999 with 72,xxxmi. It was parked when the car just wouldn't start one morning. Fast forward 18 years to just a few days ago when I found this gem sitting in the back of a barn. I thought it was just a very clean and lightly used 924s but after seeing all the aluminum underneath this thing and great suspension I decided to find the sticker in the back near the hatch to see what options it came with to make it this fancy. That's when I found out it's the 756 special edition lemans!! I think every single thing is still original so I'm going to try an go through as much as I can to refresh everything. This is my first porsche and I was wondering if anyone could give the pointers on things so look over and service after sitting for so long!

Thanks in advance everyone for any tips or advice!
chumwon  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the option codes listed
C02
G57

The only code i can't find is the G57?..It came with the tool kit, cleaning kit, and the crazy spare tire. Unfortunately it looks like the original owner must of took the medallion...

Loving this car already, it's not a 912 but it's growing on grams and I'm excited to start getting into it!

Last edited by chumwon on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
chumwon  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://chumwon.imgbb.com/

Here's some photos of the ole boy once I got it home!
edredas  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I hope to add a special edition to the collection one day!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
chumwon  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're beautiful cars built to perform! I'm hoping to have a few years with it while my grandma can enjoy it. Maybe after that it can go into your already awesome collection!
pantherwagen  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Welcome to the group!
Curious as why you don't have the 030 code, Club Sport Package...i assumed that goes with the 756 special edition "SE". You should get a 924 Haynes manual, and a 944, the body and interior stuff are mainly 924S, but the engine is the same as the 944 normally aspirated (NA). The suspension, hubs, calipers, etc are 924S.
The code list I used is at bigporsche.com/history/924options.htm
you probably figured it out, but waking it up for one- check your timing belt before cranking, hopefully that is not why it wouldnt start. After all these years, fluids, filters, etc,
would be a must to change out I would do all, transaxle oil could probably wait..but if it was me, I would do drain out all the engine related fluids and filters firts, gas, coolant, oil. Then be wary of the brakes and fluid if test driving. Mine and one of the ones I looked at, even with low miles, calipers can lock, and brake lines blew from the age and surface rust.
There are good topics on the SE here, and tons of other info for working on them yourself.
I actually got my SE last year from up in Ann Arbor MI area after looking at three SEs in my area. I could not believe that there was three in the area as they are rare. Mine is number 580, saw number 283 in Delaware, number 310 in MD, and the first one I looked at was 601, just 10 miles away from me. what number yours is?
flattering photos of my Panter-
https://goo.gl/photos/Bvk49fdhB4XF4Vsi8
Cheers!
Paul  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protect that cloth interior from the sun, it is very rare to find one that is not dry rotted and torn.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
chumwon  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do plan on changing every bit of fluid it has along with replacing the belts. Hoping the tensioner, drives am water pump are decent after finding prices on them but gotta get in there an see for sure. Found the DME relay burnt so I'm hoping that was the whole problem to begin with!! I'll be looking at getting a 944 manual as it's mainly drivetrain that needs love. You cars beautiful! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by number, I'm guessing last 3 of the vin? If that's the case I've got 476. Says it was built 8/87 on the inner fender. This was bought out of Chicago but spent it's whole life in Michigan. That's crazy that there are that many from around here! What size tires does your SE have? Mine are roached now and the door sticker is a different size then the ones on the car..

Thanks very much sir!
pantherwagen  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: