Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

'78 924 Eaten by Harvey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmichaels  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: '78 924 Eaten by Harvey Reply with quote

So here is my first post to the 924 board. I have an all original '78 924 with 51K miles. My father-in-law watched the build when he was stationed in Germany and imported it back stateside. My wife and I have since owned this car for the last 20 years (he ended up with three other Porsche models) and hope to have our son take possession when we decide he is responsible (if that ever happens).

Here is the rub, Hurricane Harvey completely ate the 924 (well technically the Army Corps of Engineers ate my 924, but now we are splitting hairs). Water to the top of the seats. The water sat in there for a 8 days.

I'm going to start by removing every single piece, but I sure would like to know where to start. I am handy with a wrench, but I mostly wrench on my Defender which for the most part was put together with a hammer.

If it was your 924, where would you start? Giving it up isn't an option.

Matt
morghen  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, welcome to the board.
Very nice to see this kind of determination.

I would start by taking the interior out:

seats (10mm socket)
dash + console
carpets out

out in the sun to dry..then clean and inspect.

then I would water clean all electrical connections and remove the relays and fuses...clean the connectors individually.

let everything dry in the sun.

meanwhile I would rotate the engine by hand, squirt all the water out.
clean the engine bay with pressurized water jet.
Ozzie  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget insides of doors and rear panels will need cleaning, who knows what is in there.

If the engine is full of water it wont turn until the plugs are removed

electric motors, headlight, windows, wipers, etc will have ingress as well as relays, dials, bearings, brake and clutch fluids
Engineer of Electro/Mechanical Systems Maintenance
Paul  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of mold, it grows very quickly in warm weather.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus brother, I feel for you. For what it's worth, I for one was very proud to see the fantastic job you Texans did to help each other out in that time of crisis. THAT is the way it's supposed to be in a properly functioning society.

As the other members said, strip the interior out first to mitigate the mould problem. Second, and this will be very time consuming, you need to pull the entire wiring harness. The problem is that water has now seeped into the wires themselves, under the insulation, and in the heat will very quickly turn the individual strands into green resistance monsters. They never conducted well from new but now that they are 40 years old and full of skank water they will positively reek with resistance. Nothing electrical will work properly until you replace the major voltage carrying lines and dry the rest. Dry dry.

Pull the plugs, turn the crank. Pull the oil lines and drain. Pull the fuel lines and drain. Drain the trans-axle fluid. It will be full of water getting in through the breather on the top side. Pull the valve cover and manually check for H2O. The valves will rust quickly as will the cam and lifters. Pull the brake lines from each caliper / clutch slave and drain. If you have compressed air blow all of the fuel / brake / oil lines out and let dry. The head liner will be rotted and need replacing. Shit, the list is ...huge.

You're in for a ride brother...

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
mmichaels  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. The mold was growing day 1. Starting repairs next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: