Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Reprint - 924S Review, Washington Post, 9/19/86

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reprint - 924S Review, Washington Post, 9/19/86 Reply with quote

By Warren Brown
Washington Post
September 19, 1986

I HATE IT. I love it. I hate it. I love it. I mean, really, folks, the 1987 Porsche 924S drives me crazy.

This "affordable" Porsche -- a slick collection of shared parts, old parts and fantasies -- is the biggest come-on since the high school dance.

This car promises a lot, and seems to deliver on the road. But when I park it and step away, I get the feeling that I've been had.

Climbing out of this one is like going home alone on those Friday nights long ago, after hours of boogie-woogie: I thought I was having a good time while my feet were moving and the music was playing. But when the beat stopped, all I could feel was sweat, empty pockets and stress from wondering whether the ticket to the dance floor was worth the price of admission.

Outstanding complaint: The maddening ambivalence of it all.

Porsches are feel-good cars, and the 924S does win grins. But certain things about it are reminiscent of prowling the aisles of a 24-hour discount store, searching for that special on Listerine. The all-plastic interior is an example. The woefully inadequate rear seats, the plastic gearshift knob that came off in my right hand in the test model, and the driver-side power window that often acted powerless are others.

There is also the matter of lineage. The 924S is a car with a past. It was introduced to America in 1976 as the 924, a Porsche with Volkswagen and Audi parts. It didn't impress buyers much, but it hung on until it was replaced by the spiffier, all-Porsche 944 in 1982.

Strong consumer demand for the 944 model has boosted its original, "affordable" base price of $18,450 into the $25,000-plus range. Porsche's solution? Resurrect the old 924 in almost identical exterior and interior dress, equip the car with an exact copy of the 2.5-liter, inline, 4-cylinder, aluminum-block gasoline engine found in the 944, add an "S" (for "Super") to the 924 nameplate, and sell the thing for $5,000 less than the 944.

People cry "Foul" when General Motors pulls a stunt like that. But Porsche seems to be getting away with it, all the way to the bank.

Outstanding praise: I suspect that Porsche's marketing ploy is working because, in spite of everything, the 924S is a total joy to drive. It accelerates with undeniable competence. It takes curves with effortless grace. Ah, and it brakes with such precision. Cars like the Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z can overtake this one. And I have no argument with those people who say that the Nissan 300ZX and the Mazda RX-7 offer comparable -- perhaps, even better -- value and performance.

But the Porsche 924S, at least on the road, wins on image. I guess it's the difference between chocolate pudding and chocolate mousse.

Head-turning quotient: People look at it simply because it's a Porsche.

Sound System: AM/FM stereo radio and cassette by Blaupunkt. Superb.

Mileage: About 24 to the gallon (17.42-gallon tank), combined city-highway, running driver only and with minimal use of the climate control system most of the time. The test model was equipped with a fuel-efficient, 5-speed manual transmission.

Price as tested: $21,380, including $657 for the sound system and $823 for the destination charge. Base price is $19,900 until Nov. 15, when it will rise to $21,900.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: