Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dropping the Transaxle-How to remove plastic tube/shift rod?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1980-924  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Dropping the Transaxle-How to remove plastic tube/shift rod? Reply with quote

Working to drop the Transaxle then the tank:

Removal

Place the vehicle on jack stands.
At the transaxle, push back the rubber boot on the shift linkage.
Cut the lock wire on the retaining bolt.
Remove the bolt and disconnect the shift linkage from the transaxle.

Inside the car, remove the shift knob and shifter boot.
Pull the retaining clip off of the pin holding the shift lever to the shifter rod.
Spreading the foam at the 12 (front) and six (rear) positions shows 2 bolts holding the shift lever, remove them.
Remove the shift lever.

At this point, do you lift the shift level straight up to remove it?
Any concerns about alignment during reassembly?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by 1980-924 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the lever comes straight up. There are slots in the plate that holds the shift lever to the torque tube. Adjustment on reassembly is pretty easy, just get it shifting properly. There is also a tapered detent in the shift rod where it connects to the transmission for aligning the locking bolt. The biggest headache is working around all the foam.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't loose the bolts that hold the shift lever to the torque tube, they are quite short and it might not be easy to find new ones.

'67 MG Midget Dp
1980-924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Dropping the Transaxle-Does Plastic Tube slide out the rear? Reply with quote

Thanks MikeJinCO!
Back at it again after getting the shifter out.

I have the shifter linkage disconnected and can I slide the black plastic tube out toward the rear before dropping the transaxle?
The instructions indicate it can be removed after loosening the bolts from the transaxle bellhousing to the driveshaft adapter along with the bolts that hold the mount to the floor of the luggage compartment and lowering the transaxle to separate them slightly.

Can I use pliers to pull the plastic tube out towards the rear?

Also, the shifter rod itself is flush with the end of the plastic tube and it appears to be as far forward as it can travel inside next to the drivers seat.

Do I have to move the shifter rod more towards the front of the car in order to drop the transaxle straight down?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just push the shift rod forward,it is not easy to do with all the foam an then push the plastic tube forward also so it clears the tranny casing. It will flop around a bit, but the tranny can come straight down. I got a cheap Harbor Freight tranny jack and built wood platform that held the axle output flanges so it lines up easily. SAme set up on a floor jack would do the same.

No need to remove the plastic tube. Typing on iPad is slow and ugly.

'67 MG Midget Dp
1980-924  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Dropping the Transaxle-How to remove plastic tube/shift rod? Reply with quote

Well, I've pushed the shifter linkage rod as far forward as I can and I tried pulling from inside the car and I can't get it to clear the recess for the shifter.
Is it supposed to lift out of the recess to be able to be moved further towards the front of the car or is that it for the travel?

The plastic tube moves about 1/4 of an inch and I tried using a block of wood and hammer to tap it in towards the front of the car.
It's not going anywhere and still protrudes from the opening in the transaxle.

Should I be more persistent or should I start to lower the transaxle and just deal the the shifter linkage and the plastic tube on the way down?
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to rotate th shift rod to get it to clear as there is one bend in the rod. Repeat all that foam is really ugly to deal with. When the rod is clear use a wood block as a cushion and give it a smack with a hammer to move the plastic tube back. It ha some molded in locking tabs to hold it in place.

'67 MG Midget Dp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: