Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

1977 924 starts once then dies.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: 1977 924 starts once then dies. Reply with quote

I have a 77 924 thats cis injected that starts up for a good 4 seconds then it will die. Then i go to crank and thats all it does. It just cranks. If i wait about 5 minutes ill go to start it and itll start up and then die..... Im at a loss. Ive replaced fuel pump, fuel distributor, fuel filter, fuel accumulator, spark plugs, wires. Im really at a loss. Ive thought of everything. Itll stay running if i give it gas on the pedal
The car was running perfect and one day it was idiling in the garage and just shut off and hasnt been able to run since then.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried jumping the fuel pump relay? Can you hear the fuel pump kick on?
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric P wrote:
Have you tried jumping the fuel pump relay? Can you hear the fuel pump kick on?

fuel pump kicks on whenever i move the sensor plate.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try putting a jumper across the relay socket. The pump shouldn't kick on when the plate is lifted unless the engine is turning over. It's a safety feature. Otherwise porsche could have eliminated the relay and just ran power to the fuel pump from the ignition switch.

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. The best way to check is to get a fuel pressure gauge and test system and control pressure to make sure all of your pressures are correct.

I would start by jumpering the 30 and 87 pins on the relay though. If it still has the same problem, you can at least rule that out. Note that jumpering these two pins will make the fuel pump run whether the ignition switch is on or off.

With the relay jumpered and the pump running, you can also pull the injectors and test for fuel flow when the intake plate is lifted. I usually pull the injectors and put them inside a clear glass bottle then test for even well atomized flow on all injectors.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe check the Auxiliary Air Valve...may be a wiring issues with it. I have had internal failures of the connectors before.

A good way to check if it is mechanically OK is to pull it off, stick in the freezer, then check after an hour or so to see if it is as open as it can get. Then hook up 12 volt power to it directly from a battery and you should be able to physically watch it close.

I only suggest to look at the AAV as it sounds like you are having air delivery problems, and when you give her gas she runs OK.

Sounds like you have replaced everything else besides the AAV and the warm up regulator, so it should be one of these two.

Look forward to hearing on the developments.

Cheers

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian89C4 wrote:
Maybe check the Auxiliary Air Valve...may be a wiring issues with it. I have had internal failures of the connectors before.

A good way to check if it is mechanically OK is to pull it off, stick in the freezer, then check after an hour or so to see if it is as open as it can get. Then hook up 12 volt power to it directly from a battery and you should be able to physically watch it close.

I only suggest to look at the AAV as it sounds like you are having air delivery problems, and when you give her gas she runs OK.

Sounds like you have replaced everything else besides the AAV and the warm up regulator, so it should be one of these two.

Look forward to hearing on the developments.

Cheers

Where is the location of this aav?
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric P wrote:
I would try putting a jumper across the relay socket. The pump shouldn't kick on when the plate is lifted unless the engine is turning over. It's a safety feature. Otherwise porsche could have eliminated the relay and just ran power to the fuel pump from the ignition switch.

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. The best way to check is to get a fuel pressure gauge and test system and control pressure to make sure all of your pressures are correct.

I would start by jumpering the 30 and 87 pins on the relay though. If it still has the same problem, you can at least rule that out. Note that jumpering these two pins will make the fuel pump run whether the ignition switch is on or off.

With the relay jumpered and the pump running, you can also pull the injectors and test for fuel flow when the intake plate is lifted. I usually pull the injectors and put them inside a clear glass bottle then test for even well atomized flow on all injectors.

What would make it run right now with the ignition on, when I move the plate without cranking? The fuel pump doesn't prime but I don't think it's supposed to.
Paul  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early cars have a switch in the airflow meter to activate the pump.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aav is located on the top side of the intake runners towards the firewall. It looks like a cone sticking out of a disk.

This is what is looks like...the smaller of the two:

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=383403&sid=b429c29c8ab5fe1598d8539779823876

Hope that helps narrow you in.

Cheers

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
brian19600  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Paul said, that is normal for fuel pump to run when sensor plate is lifted at least thru '78 models.

Have you done the fuel pressure checks with the gauge and the valve? Not that this would fix your problem, but it's always good to have a solid starting point when working on the CIS system.
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having the issue, checked timing. Timing is good, i have a huge hole in my intake boot, would that be an issues its by the throttle body. It starts up and is dying still.
gerben1986  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillipbpruitt wrote:
Still having the issue, checked timing. Timing is good, i have a huge hole in my intake boot, would that be an issues its by the throttle body. It starts up and is dying still.

That can indeed be the reason, because then the fuel-air-mixture isn't correct anymore because it's sucking false air.
phillipbpruitt  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope wasnt the issue new intake boot, still dying. Getting ready to push it off a cliiff. What else can make this not start. Ive replaced just about everything fuel and spark related. the timing is right no vacuum leaks. im about ready to blow my brains out.
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the system and control pressures yet?
Paul  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the camshaft timing? How did you check the ignition timing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: