Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Advice on 924 2.5L rebuild?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Advice on 924 2.5L rebuild? Reply with quote

I'm no blackfinger, and I could use some tips. I'm looking at completely rebuilding my 924, and would like to know some of those little shop tricks to help the process tick right along.

Also, you'll have to explain some things like I'm 5. I'm seriously that green.

1987 924S - A heap of a project
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Clark's Garage.

Be aware that the alusil treated cylinder bore in the 2.5 requires special equipment and procedures to bore and hone.
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't planned on anything super intensive like that. I'm mostly looking at a total gasket job, hoses, lines, and probably some new parts in the cooling system. The engine has 98k miles on it, but the head gasket is blown and I noticed some issues with the fan clearances. The belts are exposed because the plate is missing. The plugs are fouled for sure. It's the definition of "rough car" absolutely.

Also, thanks for the link. I remember reading something about that site but couldn't remember what it was called. I guess I should keep notes while I browse.

hdrider19  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a running 84 944 parts car to get my 924S going. When I pulled the engine it had so many oil leaks that every time I moved it oil would run out a different place. photo uploading
I took the engine completely apart and cleaned every part. After it was as clean as I could get it I plastigauged the bearings and they all checked out in the middle of the tolerance in my Haynes manual. My rings also checked good. I did have my head milled at a local machine shop to clean up the gasket surface. I cleaned the head and the valves and then reseated them. I bought a gasket and seal set/water pump/timing belt kit. Using Clark's garage site and my Haynes manual I reassembled the engine. Now it looks like this. print screen windows 7
I have spent countless hours reading posts on this site to learn as much as I can about this engine and car. YouTube is also a great source of info. Remember that the 2.5 was also used in a lot of 944s so most info and videos on 944s apply to the 924S also.
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 944 is similar? I've been browsing past that stuff because I was under the impression they were dissimilar and incompatible!

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrenchesandswearing wrote:
So 944 is similar?

Mechanically IDENTICAL

P.S. By the Book of Rasta, it is a fantastic idea to pull the motor and reseal it. The motor comes out very easily, and by far makes up for the time wasted trying to reseal the RMS, balance shaft covers, oil pan, etc, with the engine still in the car.
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The how to section has a 2.5 builders guide. You should check it out. There was recently a post about rebuilding the head
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: