Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924s won't start, milk white oil, blowing coolant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: 924s won't start, milk white oil, blowing coolant Reply with quote

I'm not even sure where to start with this car. It's a 1987 924s in rough shape and I bought it on a bit of a lark as a project car. It started up on the lot, but was blowing a lot of coolant out of the overflow. The oil is now foamy, milky white. It wouldn't start to get it off the trailer either.

Am I incorrect for assuming I have 2 or 3 immediate issues here? I've had blown head gaskets before on other vehicles and recognized the milky oil straight off, but the lack of ignition is what baffles me. It started enough to get it up onto the trailer, but not when I got it home. Is the pressure on the cooling system a symptom of a failed gasket or could it be something else separate from everything else?

Trying to triage this machine has me scratching my head and swearing quite a bit.

1987 924S - A heap of a project
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I read somewhere (maybe the reason I stumbled upon and joined this forum) that the 924s prone to head gasket failure.

hdrider19  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a blown head gasket for sure. The 2.5 engine block is an open deck design. image uploader
As you can see the cylinders are surrounded by the water jacket. A failure at any point can push compression into cooling system. It can also pull antifreeze into the cylinder and foul the plugs. Probably why it won't start now.
Clark's-garage.com has a great online shop manual. Also on YouTube you can find edredas videos. He is a member on this board and has many great detailed videos on these cars. I am putting my car back together right now. Everything I have done on my car can be found on here and lots of helpful people if you get stuck on anything. Good luck
hdrider19  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that you are in Missouri. Where at? I am about 40 miles west of St.Louis.
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 100 miles west of St Louis in Rolla. I've been to and through Catawissa a few times.

The practical side of me told me not to pick up this 924, but here I am.

From the little bit of poking around I have done on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that I've bought the easiest mess to work on that I could have.

So I wasn't too far off base with my assessment. I planned on new plugs, plug harness, filters, and a gasket job straight away. I'll post up on a new thread with pictures of this rough 924 of mine.

jvandyke  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carry a fire extinguisher, at least until you have a lot of confidence and even then, carry one
young55961  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: 924S Heat gasket fixed , Bar's works. Reply with quote

I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago. Same situation, engine won't start.
Bad head gasket.

I pull the spark plug to check, found # 3 cylinder full of coolant.

I keep the # 3 plug out, and crank the engine. Stream come out from the Spark plug hole. About one minute, engine start and idle. I let it run for a few minutes.

I went to buy a can of Bar's Head gasket repair.

I drain about a quart of coolant, and pour about half can of Bar's to top Radiator hose(Not to the Reservoir), fill with some new coolant.

Start the engine, a lot of white smoke from the tail pipe. 15 Minutes still white smoke. I stopped the engine, let it cool down.

I remove the # 3 plug , let the Bar's dry overnight.

Next day, I add the other half Bar's to radiator thru the top hose.
put the #3 plug back, start the engine.

About 5 to 10 minutes, white smoke stopped.

Then, I did oil change, almost 1 1/2 gallon milky oil.
rebuilt all the fuel injectors and clean the throttle body.

So far the engine is running very smooth. Tail pipe is dry.

I just check the spark plugs yesterday, they are all dry, not even oil.
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I finally caught a solid day to really dig into it. I found several issues I'll have to address separately from the head gasket on way through, but once I was down to the cylinders, I made a bit of a strange discovery. The gasket appeared to be brand new. It WASN'T stuck to the head or block like the other gaskets and didn't show any obvious signs of failure. The coolant around the cylinder walls was bright green and not the milkshake I found in the cam. I'm completely baffled. I'm hoping it's a not a warping case but I ran out of daylight to check it out completely.

Hoses and brakes are next on my list provided I don't run into any other issues around the block.

Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the oil cooler look? Solid mud-looking, or clean? From my car, and no white smoke from engine.

2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
wrenchesandswearing  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gone that deep yet. I'm going to break out the feeler and straightedge next chance I get and while I'm at it check everything for sludge buildup. Thinking about it... Could that cause the weird internal back pressure issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: