Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

heater fan and other electrical gremlins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_in_fla  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: heater fan and other electrical gremlins Reply with quote

Hi all -- New 924S owner here. There's so much great information here! Anyway, I've searched the boards and haven't found this problem (or I'm bad at searching). My heater switch stopped working all of a sudden. Some background: the #9 fuse blew last week, and I think I've narrowed it down to the backup lights though I haven't had a chance to figure out which one or what's causing the short. So I've been poking around the wiring, but I can't seem to see any relationship between the two systems. Seems to me it isn't a coincidence though. If it helps, it's an AC car, and that works just fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
edredas  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, if the blower motor isn't working then you've likely blown fuse #9 on the upper fuse bank... the reverse lights are the #9 fuse on the lower bank. As you noted, the reverse lights shorting out would not be related to the heater blower fuse blowing or vice versa. So, I'm going to assume you mean the upper bank #9 fuse since your blower isn't working...

That said, I had an issue with the heater motor fuse blowing because the motor had frozen up. Sometimes spraying lube into the motors will get them working again, but I went ahead and swapped in a good spare which solved the issue.

Also, you may need to look at the top of the cowl to see if the resistor pack has melted the shroud... this can also blow the fuse. I have this issue with a car I picked up recently and a new resistor pack did not fix it so its probably in the switch... but as of now I have no idea what the fix may be.

Anyway, I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
john_in_fla  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas wrote:
Just to clarify, if the blower motor isn't working then you've likely blown fuse #9 on the upper fuse bank.... So, I'm going to assume you mean the upper bank #9 fuse since your blower isn't working...

Thanks for the reply. It is the lower #9 that has blown -- the one with the reverse lights, blinkers, and power mirrors. The blinkers are why I noticed, and eventually traced it back to the reverse lights (though I don't know which yet). I'm going to get to it later in the week.

The blower is a new issue that occurred more or less contemporaneously. I assumed that there must have been something I did that caused that too. Good to know that I should check the upper #9. I don't have a full fuse diagram, so that's helpful.

Thanks!
edredas  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion. The blower motor fuse blowing seems to be more common, I've never heard of anyone having issues with their reverse lights.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944QA/944_early_fuse_panel.htm

You mentioned not have a full fuse box diagram so here's one. The blower motor isn't mentioned on it, but it is fused through the upper #9 with the sunroof and hatch release switch.

Hope that helps!
john_in_fla  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now that opens up another question then, because the sunroof works fine, as does the rear hatch release (though it doesn't come up on its own). It's weird, because the heater switch was working fine, and then... Nada.

Thanks for the diagram!
edredas  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuse not being blown could be a good sign or a bad one. It could be something as simple as a bad ground connection. I would check those first!

However, it could also be the resistor pack, or the blower itself. The switch in the dash is just a switch, so when it isn't working its usually an issue with the resistor pack. If you see a melted spot on your blower shroud under the engine bay then you probably have some wiring issues. Of course it could just be the motor is locked up, but that usually blows the fuse...
john_in_fla  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got some places to check now -- more than I could say yesterday!

Thanks!
john_in_fla  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: It was the reverse light switch (mounted on the tranny near the passenger rear wheel). It's disconnected right now until the new one comes in. I figure it wasn't working anyhow, and now at least I have blinkers.

The heater fan was a separate, but coincidentally timed, issue. The wiring had come loose under the cowl, so thanks for pointing me there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: